Wireless Router

Reaction score
Hi,
Have just moved into flat with only phone socket in living room, need to use pc in spare room. To get another socket put in will cost me around 80 quid so I thought a wireless router might be a better idea and potentially handy anyway, so questions are:
1) Assume I plug the router in in lounge then can use PC/laptop from anywhere else in flat?
2) Have 8Meg broadband, wireless router bandwidth will cope with this wont it, I wont experience any less performance than using a hardwired router?
3) Any recomendations on kit?
4) Are they easy to install/configure?
5) I assume its easy to add a second computer/laptop to my wirelss LAN? Can I directly share files once I have done this?

Any pointers gratefully recieved.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
ngalbrai said:
Hi,
Have just moved into flat with only phone socket in living room, need to use pc in spare room. To get another socket put in will cost me around 80 quid so I thought a wireless router might be a better idea and potentially handy anyway, so questions are:
1) Assume I plug the router in in lounge then can use PC/laptop from anywhere else in flat?
2) Have 8Meg broadband, wireless router bandwidth will cope with this wont it, I wont experience any less performance than using a hardwired router?
3) Any recomendations on kit?
4) Are they easy to install/configure?
5) I assume its easy to add a second computer/laptop to my wirelss LAN? Can I directly share files once I have done this?

Any pointers gratefully recieved.

Hi

I will have a go at responding to your queries.....

I would answer yes to all your questions, I have a Netgear Router which works well with the wireless lappy anywhere in my house and garden although I have to confess not having tried it in the loft!!

As for set up, all I would say is that if I can do it, it's not too hard!!!!!!

I am not recommending Netgear per se but what I will say is that when I have needed to call them (about 3 times since August) I have spoken to a 'real' person at times up to 11pm at night and I believe they offer 24/7 support.

Good luck!!!

Love

Gabs xx

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Gabs is correct in all she says; all I would add is I've been happy with both Netgear and Belkin Routers - both with ease of setting up and support.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Oh I do like it when I get things right!!!

PS The other thing I should have said is that the cost of calls to Netgear is at ordinary rate, not some mega expensive premium rate which is always nice to know!!

Gabs xx

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just this second bought a Linksys Wireless Modem Router...

Got the sqare looking ADSL 2+ compatible one, with 4 port RJ45 and 802.11G built in...

£55 inc VAT (the model number im not sure of but it has 5 star reviews...)

Our netgear DG814 seems to have died - the orange diagnostic light stays on permanently, and you cant get into the configuration screen from any computer, and it refuses to connect to the internet. Yet it works fine as a hub...

O well...

The linksys looks good btw - it SHOULD be delivered tomorrow, i'll let you know what its like

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You're usually right Gabs, and anyway I've learnt never to argue with a woman!;)

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I just this second bought a Linksys Wireless Modem Router...

Got the sqare looking ADSL 2+ compatible one, with 4 port RJ45 and 802.11G built in...

£55 inc VAT (the model number im not sure of but it has 5 star reviews...)

Our netgear DG814 seems to have died - the orange diagnostic light stays on permanently, and you cant get into the configuration screen from any computer, and it refuses to connect to the internet. Yet it works fine as a hub...

O well...

The linksys looks good btw - it SHOULD be delivered tomorrow, i'll let you

know what its like

I have one Chris Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

Reaction score
So you recommend it then? Thats good...

Easy to set up and run etc etc with no random disconnections?

Reaction score
No modem should randomly disconnect chris...

Your's must of been messed up, and while your at it, replace all the ADSL filters in your house regarding your 'Telephone' cut off ADSL problem.

Filters are only a few quid each, but it's best to sort that out before you go playing with a new setup.

;)

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
So you recommend it then? Thats good...

Easy to set up and run etc etc with no random disconnections?

I found nothing was a problem! and it has never let me down easy peasy;)

Reaction score
from my experiences i would suggest staying away from linksys and to go to buy a netgear router

i have had a linksys router for over a year now and when it comes to wireless connections it has constantly let me down
yes it could just be one bad router. but im completly put off of linksys since my experiences.

Reaction score
ChrisIMRIE said:
No modem should randomly disconnect chris...

Your's must of been messed up, and while your at it, replace all the ADSL filters in your house regarding your 'Telephone' cut off ADSL problem.

Filters are only a few quid each, but it's best to sort that out before you go playing with a new setup.

;)

Yeah we did that a few weeks back... bought a top of the range all singing all dancing...filter.

Dual transister, professional grade. Tenner. Improved things a bit i think.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Chris

Have you checked out the post re: someone who's connection keeps dropping?? Might be that the two issues could be combined????

Gabs xx

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris P

I read through the thread and think that the other Chris has a point - have you exhausted all the poss causes of your problems before buying another router? Do you have the 24/7 Netgear support number - if you don't have it, PM me and I will pass it on. Might be worth a try and will save a few quid.

Love

Gabs xx

Reaction score
He's already ordered the new parts Gabs.

Was sitting next to him at college when he ordered it, i don't like Linksys honestly, got a WAP54GUK here, wireless access point and it's really bad at signal range, and it also drops the signal, i've exausted every possibility with that, and now its just sitting on the side unplugged.

I don't touch anything else except Netgear equipment now, as i know it's top quality and i can shout at a technician on the phone 24/7 if anything goes wrong.

Plus i've got warranty over my parts so they'll get replaced.

I'm sure Chris would have tried all the possibilities, i don't think he'd go ahead and buy some new stuff without first trying the obvious, unplug etc, hard reset and the rest...

:)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Chris I

I was following up on your post earlier today I guess when you were suggesting new filters etc.... pre new purchase

Looks like I got my wires crossed...sorry!

Gabs x

Reaction score
No probs Gabs :)

Yeah i never knew he got new filters thus the suggestion earlier ;)

As i knew he mentioned that problem before, where he got cut off, but this is totally different, the Netgear is completely frozen lyk a chip has burned out... but the 4port switch is still functional it seems, so he says :)

Ask a Question