WinXP SP2 Install Failure - Catalog Files

Deadlegs

After successfully upgarding to the beta verison of SP2, I am now unable to
install the final release. The install program goes through the inventory,
backups and restore point phases then crashes out with failure to install
catalog files.
The only KB article I've been able to find is 822798. I've tried all methods
bar the last two and have had no success.
I have also tried a repair and re-install of critical patches but hat also
had no effect.
The following is an extract from SVCPACK.log.

Any advice will be welcome.

FE2: Per File Exceptions will not be used.
177.335: GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\wmerrenu.
cat with error 0x80092004
177.335: GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from
C:\WINDOWS\wmerrenu.cat with error 0x80092004
177.585: GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\ntprint.c
at with error 0x80092004
177.716: GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from
C:\WINDOWS\ntprint.cat with error 0x80092004
183.734: GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\nt5.cat
with error 0x80092004
183.985: GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from
C:\WINDOWS\nt5.cat with error 0x80092004
184.405: InstallSingleCatalogFile: MyVerifyCatalogFile failed for nt5.cat;
error=0x800b0100.
184.405: DoInstallation:MyInstallCatalogFiles
failed:STR_CATALOG_INSTALL_FAILED
184.886: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine
value, error 0x2
184.886: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for recovery.
184.886: Failed to install catalog files.

Hans-Georg Michna

After successfully upgarding to the beta verison of SP2, I am now unable to
install the final release. The install program goes through the inventory,
backups and restore point phases then crashes out with failure to install
catalog files.

Have you tried to uninstall the beta version of SP2 first?

The next best bet may be a repair installation of Windows XP,
followed by installing SP2 again.

For additional information please see
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm.

Hans-Georg

Deadlegs

Yes I tried uninstalling SP2 and when that didn't work I performeda repair
of XP and tried again. A couple of windows security updates applied
coreectly but when I tried the SP2 the same thing happened.

Hans-Georg Michna

Yes I tried uninstalling SP2 and when that didn't work I performeda repair
of XP and tried again. A couple of windows security updates applied
coreectly but when I tried the SP2 the same thing happened.

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm points to several methods of
uninstalling SP2. Have you tried more than one?

Hans-Georg

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
This could be a certificate issue looking at the log entries, you may want
to check you certificates on the system to make sure none of them are not
valid. We are having problems reading the catalog files and I have seen
that error code involved with a certificate problem. ( Not with installing
service packs, but with other certificate issues)
Run certmgr.msc to look at the certifcates.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Deadlegs

Thanks Darrell.. I saw a knowledgte base article on this. I do have some
expired certificates. How do I renew them? Can I just delete them?

Regards,
Peter

From: "Deadlegs" <********************>
Subject: WinXP SP2 Install Failure - Catalog Files
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:58:32 +1000
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

After successfully upgarding to the beta verison of SP2, I am now unable to
install the final release. The install program goes through the inventory,
backups and restore point phases then crashes out with failure to install
catalog files.
The only KB article I've been able to find is 822798. I've tried all methods
bar the last two and have had no success.
I have also tried a repair and re-install of critical patches but hat also
had no effect.
The following is an extract from SVCPACK.log.

Any advice will be welcome.

FE2: Per File Exceptions will not be used.
177.335: GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\wmerrenu

Deadlegs

I have a resolution. Download the full 260Mb version and it installs
immediately.

Thanks to all who have contributed