Winlogon.exe corrupted????

G

When I try to logon to my PC I get an Application Error dialog box labeled "Winlogon.exe" with a message that reads - "The instruction at '0x10001cfa' referenced memory at '0x1a80000'. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program Click on Cancel to debug the program.

If I click OK the PC tries to reboot and I get the same error. If I click on Cancel one of two things happens.

1) the PC goes into random orbit
2) Visual Studio launches C++ into a debug mode which tells me only that the offending instruction was a mov a1, byte ptr [esi]

I really do NOT want to do a destructive install as I have data I cannot lose. When I go to Safe Mode and try to transfer critical files/folders to an ancillary hard drive I find that I cannot drag and drop, and any copy/paste instruction gets igonored.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your time and attention. Fergie

G

system restore is NOT the solution to this problem... even when you try to
copy ANY file you get the error "The instruction at '0x10001cfa' referenced
memory at '0x1a80000'. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to
terminate the program Click on Cancel to debug the program".

Does anybody knows how to fix this or should I re-install (no system
restore) WindowsXP?

divakartandon said:
If you are able to boot the copmputer in safe mode.Do system restore

fergie said:
When I try to logon to my PC I get an Application Error dialog box labeled "Winlogon.exe" with a message that reads - "The instruction at '0x10001cfa' referenced memory at '0x1a80000'. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program Click on Cancel to debug the program.

If I click OK the PC tries to reboot and I get the same error. If I click on Cancel one of two things happens.

1) the PC goes into random orbit
2) Visual Studio launches C++ into a debug mode which tells me only that the offending instruction was a mov a1, byte ptr [esi]

I really do NOT want to do a destructive install as I have data I cannot lose. When I go to Safe Mode and try to transfer critical files/folders to an ancillary hard drive I find that I cannot drag and drop, and any copy/paste instruction gets igonored.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your time and attention. Fergie

Ask a Question