Windows XP Windows XP 'Welcome Page'

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have a Windows XP SP3 laptop running STOPZilla and Trend Viruses software.

I use to be able to login and switch users via the 'Family Welcome Page' but since yesterday morning I cannot switch to the welcome page to allow the 3 users of my computer to log on/off. I have checked in the user profiles and the 'change the way the users switch on & off' and both the boxes are ticked but neither of them have any effect as I still only have the 'classic' login box. I have also, via STOPZilla, checked for infections but nothing was found. Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation.

Woz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Woz, welcome to the forums :)

So, just to confirm, you've logged in as an administrator and ticked the "use welcome screen" box? It's strange that it's not showing you it. Was this a very sudden change? If so, you may be able to use "system restore" to roll back a day and go back to the way it was.

Do your users need to log in with a username and password, or just click on their icon?

Reaction score
Ian,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm logged in as the administrator and the 'use welcome screen' and 'fast user' boxes are both ticked.

I've tried a system restore but the laptop refuses to restore from any of the system restoration points that are available.

It was a sudden thing as for the last 3 years we have been using the 'Welcome Page' by just moving the cursor up to the user name and inputting the relevant password.

Woz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you get an error when you try to roll back to a system restore point? That doesn't sound right either. :(

Have you done a full virus scan using Trend with the latest definitions? It just seems a little strange that both things are playing up.

You could try running "sfc /scannow" to check that you have no corruption of the system files - that may show up any problems:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ddocs/en-us/system_file_checker.mspx?mfr=true

Reaction score
Morning Ian,

Sorry its taken me so long to reply but I've been out of the office and haven't had a chance to do what you suggested.

I have Trend running on my laptop, for a number of years in fact, and it's found nothing. I also have Malware software running that's found nothing and I ran sfc/scannow which believe it or not also found nothing!

Any more thoughts?

Thanks once again, your help is appreciated.

Woz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Morning Woz :)

I'm running out of ideas now, but could you try the following:

Click Start > Run > type "Control Userpasswords2" and hit enter > tick "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

If that fails, can you download Powertoys XP and use the show welcome screen under logon options, that may do it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Reaction score
Thanks Ian,

I tried that but the box is already ticked.

Would it make any difference that when I run 'Control Userpasswords2' in the 'Users Names' list under 'Groups' I'm listed as a "Debbuger Users"?

I will try downloading Powertoys XP and use the welcome screen!

Thanks for all your help

Woz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As long as you're also a member of the administrator group, I wouldn't worry - from what I recall, "Debugger Users" happens with the installation of Visual Studio and a few other products.

I hope Powertoys does the trick, as I can't think of what else it could be.

Ask a Question