Windows XP SP3

Rama

Hello,

My computer is HP Compaq dx2280 MT. Pentium[R] D CPU 2080GHz; 2079 GHz, 504
MB of RAM. Preloaded with Windows XP Professional with SP2.

I regularly download Microsoft Malicious software removal tool and run
entire system scan once a month. I've anti virus, malware removal software
and a firewall.

I never had any problem with the computer until SP3 came into my life. Ever
since then, I've sent a minimum of 50 to 60 error reports a day to Microsoft
for 2 months, but the gods presiding there have not shown any mercy on me.
The situation now is, I've reformatted the hard disk and reloaded windows xp
last week. The accounting software,and tax software were working normally
until SP3 was installed by windows automatic update system. Then the problems
began once more. I've now read at Microsoft knowledge base about the steps to
be taken before installing SP3. The problem is, when you put the system on
automatic updates, at least I didn't know until after SP3 was installed.

Now, I intend to run check disk, then again reformat and reload windows xp.
I request the techies here to give me a run down of variuos steps to be taken
before, during and after installing windows os to avoid any kind of trouble
in future. I know today is Sunday, but keeping my fingers crossed and hoping
to get some help. Want to complete all the operations and be ready for work
tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

PS: Don't mind the language as you know I'm a bit emotionally upset at the
moment.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Rama said:
[...]

Hard to say - you're telling us nothing whatsoever about the problems you
had.

You write that you had problems after installing SP3. Have you considered
the possibility that your installation might already have been flawed and
that SP3 brought the flaws into the open? SP3 has an excellent reputation:
It has been installed on millions of machines, in most cases with no problem
whatsoever. This would point to a problem on your own machine.

Re-installing Windows and all applications appears to be a big chore to you.
If so then consider doing this:
- Split your disk: 20 GBytes for drive C:, the rest for drive D:.
- Install Windows and all applications on drive C:.
- Keep all your data (including your EMail!) on drive D:.
- Get an imaging program, e.g. Acronis TrueImage.
- Take a snapshot of drive C:. Store it on an external USB disk.
- Take a new snapshot every two months. Keep the two most recent ones.
- Create a Disaster Recovery CD.

If you should ever have another problem with your installation then you can
restore it from your most recent image. It will take 30 minutes, no more.

DL

You configure MS Update to download, but not install, you will then get
notification that there are updates ready to be installed. You then view &
decide.
PS Ensure you only download critical updates & NOT driver updates

Mick Murphy

Once you have XP reinstalled, and booted up:
Click start >Right-click My Computer >Properties> Auto updates> change it to
Notify you, etc> apply etc

Do that when you 1st get to your Desktop after install.

Your accounting and Tax programs are the problems, not SP3.
If you install it, after a reinstall, SP3 works perfectly.

Rama

Thank you for your prompt response. I checked the even viewer after crash of
the tax software. The info I got was event id=1,000; source= .NET 2.0 error.

As you said, I'll go ahead with reloading, etc., but would appreciate your
thoughts on the above information.Thanks once again.

Pegasus (MVP) said:
Rama said:
[...]

Thank you DL. The thought of configuring MS Update never struck me. Great
idea. I'll do that this time.

Rama said:
Thank you for your prompt response. I checked the even viewer after crash
of
the tax software. The info I got was event id=1,000; source= .NET 2.0
error.

As you said, I'll go ahead with reloading, etc., but would appreciate your
thoughts on the above information.Thanks once again.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

These crash details are something you should discuss with the suppliers of
the tax software. I bet they have a large number of similar reports from
other users of their software. Checking the FAQs on their web page would
also be a good idea.

gaurav8583

I Think he is right.
Rama;3262545 said:
Thank you for your prompt response. I checked the even viewer afte
crash of
the tax software. The info I got was event id=1,000; source= .NET 2.
error.

As you said, I'll go ahead with reloading, etc., but would appreciat
your
thoughts on the above information.Thanks once again.

:
-

"Rama" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
[...]

steps
[...]

more.

Rama

Earlier, I always installed my applications before automatic uploads took
over to install Windows updates. As you said, this time I'll try installing
SP3 first, before installing all other software applications. But do you
foresee that'll have any beneficial change? I wonder.

Thanks Mick for your response.

--
Mad Mike

Rama said:
[...]

Frank Slootweg

Rama said:
The problem is, when you put the system on
automatic updates, at least I didn't know until after SP3 was installed.

I don't want to belittle your problems in any way, but (as far as I
know) this part is not correct: Even if you set Automatic Updates to
automatically download and install updates, it will *not* automatically
install something like SP3. At *minimum* it will ask you to accept the
EULA (End User License Agreement), so it *will* interact with the user.
As far as I know, it will also give a description of the update, with
links to the relevant Microsoft webpage(s).

So could have bailed out from installing SP3 or/and read the relevant
documentation before proceeding.

[...]

PA Bear [MS MVP]

HOW TO get WinXP SP1 or SP2 fully patched after a "clean install":

1. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP3 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4

[Yes, you can skip SP2 if you're running WinXP SP1.]

2. Read & heed:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldro...requisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

3. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP SP3. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice when
the install completes.

4. Do Resolution Method 2 here (trust me):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

5. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Install any required software
then click on CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any critical
security updates offered. Again, follow all prompts.

[I do NOT recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update.]

6. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Additional References:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
[clean install = new computer]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/spyware/prevent.mspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
[...]

Thank you for your elaborate response. Very helpful. I've made a copy of it
and kept for future reference. I completed re-installation, so missed some of
the steps and SP3 and IE 7 are already installed. Except for MS Office,
haven't installed any other application yet. Want wait until tomorrow to
complete that part. It is 2:20 AM here, and I have been on this job for 24
hrs. without sleep. Time for a wink.

Once again thank you very much.

PA Bear said:
[...]

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en

Rama, above is the link to the standalone version of SP3.
Download, save to desktop, make a CD for future use.

The way I would install yours is:
Install your copy of XP SP2, then auto updates turned off, then install SP3
straight away.
Then get MS updates.

I don't know whether your Tax programs will work or not.
That is up to their manufacturers.
--
Mad Mike

Rama said:
[...]

Don't know how I missed your post. Any how, I'm downloading the SP3 and will
make a CD and keep for future. First I'm going to uninstall the SP3 and
install this stand alone version, because I already had 4 crashes - twice
Windows Exploerer crashed and according to the Even Viewer the source was
application error (no error number given), category (100), Even ID 1,000.

Then twice the system failed to shut down. again according to the event
viewer - source was application error, in one instance category was given as
(100) and event ID as 1,000. I've not yet installed my applications. Please
note that all the crashes occurred after installation of SP3 that is
downloaded by the windows updater.

Hope my thinking is on the right lines.

Thank you once again Mick.