Windows XP search does not find anything

Rainy

Thank you soooo much!!! that worked.. I knew it was a registry problem...
thanks for jumping in... it's appreciated VERY VERY much!!! hugs Rainy
"Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com"> wrote in message
Replied to [Rainy]s message :
thanks... I haven't done much registry editing.. and hope this is
correct... I'm not sure they allow screenshots... but I think they do...
hope you can view it.. if this is not correct.. can you please show
me word by word how to change it.. when you right click on the name,
type and data thee are a lot of choices.. really not sure which one to
use... :) Rainy Just in case you can't view it Name is Use search asst1
type is REG_SZ and data is 0 there was nothing there before.. also no
search still.. thanks

Run the attached file.

--
→ Ayush
-------------

ÿþWindows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]
"Use Search Asst1"=-
"Use Search Asst"="no"

Ayush

Replied to [Rainy]s message :
Thank you soooo much!!! that worked.. I knew it was a registry problem...
thanks for jumping in... it's appreciated VERY VERY much!!! hugs Rainy

You are welcome Rainy.. so Classic Search works but XP search doesn't ...

Rainy

the only search I know about is... the search on my start menu... which one
is that? didn't know there were two of them.. :) Rainy
"Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com"> wrote in message
Replied to [Rainy]s message :
Thank you soooo much!!! that worked.. I knew it was a registry problem...
thanks for jumping in... it's appreciated VERY VERY much!!! hugs Rainy

You are welcome Rainy.. so Classic Search works but XP search doesn't ...

Ayush

Replied to [Rainy]s message :
the only search I know about is... the search on my start menu... which one
is that? didn't know there were two of them.. :) Rainy

Start menu has the Search button not search. Search Companion appears when you click
the button. If you see the old Win2k look then it is Classic, if you see the animated
character and XP look then it is XP Search.. Anyway, Enjoy !

Rainy

Well I just noticed that the animated dog is not there anymore..not like I
miss him... lol but I suppose that means I have the classic search... I
wonder what happened to the XP search? thanks .. Rainy
"Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com"> wrote in message
Replied to [Rainy]s message :
the only search I know about is... the search on my start menu... which
one
is that? didn't know there were two of them.. :) Rainy

Start menu has the Search button not search. Search Companion appears when
you click
the button. If you see the old Win2k look then it is Classic, if you see the
animated
character and XP look then it is XP Search.. Anyway, Enjoy !

Sharon F

Hi Sharon, do you have any additional ideas on how to fix my search.

Not really. There might be a problem with permissions - a file whose
properties do not have you listed as having access. Or a setting: "include
system and hidden folders and files."

XP search is quirky. I use it for "fast searches" but otherwise gave up on
it years ago. I much prefer Agent Ransack (and its big brother FileLocator
Pro.)

Rainy

Hi Sharon, well the search is fixed.. thanks to Ayus...who gave me a
registry file to fix it.. I did not care for Anget Ransack... I guess it's
what you are used to... the dog is missing, not that I really care.. I think
I chose no animation at one point.. hugs Rainy
Hi Sharon, do you have any additional ideas on how to fix my search.

Not really. There might be a problem with permissions - a file whose
properties do not have you listed as having access. Or a setting: "include
system and hidden folders and files."

XP search is quirky. I use it for "fast searches" but otherwise gave up on
it years ago. I much prefer Agent Ransack (and its big brother FileLocator
Pro.)

Sharon F

Hi Sharon, well the search is fixed.. thanks to Ayus...who gave me a
registry file to fix it.. I did not care for Anget Ransack... I guess it's
what you are used to... the dog is missing, not that I really care.. I think
I chose no animation at one point.. hugs Rainy

I'm glad to hear that your preferred search is fixed now. Enjoy!

Rainy

thanks... sure got a lot of activity on this one... :) appreciate it.. very
much! Rainy