Windows XP search does not find anything

Rainy

XP Search was working great a couple of days ago.. now when I put in
something common on my computer such as Flowers.. it says search is
complete.. but doesn't find anything.. I'm pretty sure this is a registry
error.. but don't know how to fix it... appreciate all responses... thanks
Rainy

Claymore

Hi,

Search doesn't work or fails

Go to Start => Run and type in - or copy/paste - each of the commands
listed below, one at a time. Hit Enter after each. Note that there is a
single space after regsvr32.

regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

If that doesn't fix the problem, do this:

Go to Start => Run and type in:

%systemroot%\inf {No spaces}

Click OK.

Locate the file Srchasst.inf
..
Right-click the file, and click on Install. You will be asked to insert
your Windows XP installation CD in the drive.

This will reinstall the Search Assistant.

One thing you could try is to turn off the file Indexing Service,
especially if you see cisv.exe grabbing a high percentage of cpu. The
data may have become corrupted. Anyway, check if it's enabled either of
these ways:

In the Search window click on 'Search Options'. Click on the 'Indexing
Service' link. If it's enabled, click the radio button 'No, do not
enable...'. Click the 'Advanced' button and in the window that opens,
right-click => All Tasks => Empty Catalog.

or ...

If you can't get access via the Search window, go to Start => Run and
type in "ciadv.msc" {without the quotes}.
In the window that opens, do as above.
Next, Go to Start => Run and type in "services.msc" {without the
quotes}
Locate the Indexing Service. If it's running, Stop it and set it to
Manual or Disabled.

If this doesn't work, you can restart it if you want.

Rainy

MSGR3EN.DL_

Hi Claymore, After I inserted my windows XP home CD and clicked on Install
as you instructed... they asked for me to find MSGR3EN.DL_ and I tried to
browse to where it might be.. but have no clue.. I thought it might be in
the i386 folder but it appeared to not be there.. tried everything else..
but still the search does not find anything.. You certainly gave me a lot
to do to fix this.. and it's very appreciated.. I disabled the indexing
service... and then after that didn't fix it.. I put it back the way it
was... I probably need to do a repair to fix the problem.. that always
makes me nervous.. even though I have the instructions printed out so I
don't make any mistakes and install windows xp again.. instead of repairing
it.. anyway.. thanks for all the input.. I appreciate it... Rainy

Hi,

Search doesn't work or fails

Go to Start => Run and type in - or copy/paste - each of the commands
listed below, one at a time. Hit Enter after each. Note that there is a
single space after regsvr32.

regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dllciadv.msc
[...]

HI Rainy,

If you haven't re-installed yet, that file should be in the i386
folder. I checked a couple of XP CD's of different versions, and it was
in the i386 folder. Surprised it's missing.

Regards

Rainy

yes I just reinstalled.. maybe my cd doesn't have it... I have an OEM
version of Windows XP home.. would that make a difference? thanks Rainy

HI Rainy,

If you haven't re-installed yet, that file should be in the i386
folder. I checked a couple of XP CD's of different versions, and it was
in the i386 folder. Surprised it's missing.

Regards

Rainy

You know what.. after my repair.. search is still not finding files I know
are there.. strange! :) Rainy

HI Rainy,

If you haven't re-installed yet, that file should be in the i386
folder. I checked a couple of XP CD's of different versions, and it was
in the i386 folder. Surprised it's missing.

Regards

unclepeteDEL

Claymore said:
If you haven't re-installed yet, that file should be in the i386
folder.

PMFBIH, but is this a home-version-only feature? Someone told me to do
something related to an i386 directory full of files ending in _ and my
XP Pro has no such thing. (I have checked to show hidden files,
extensions, etc.)

Jim L

Rainy

Hi Uncle Pete.. I tried this again.. and now I'm able to view that file..
but it didn't fix it... I'm sure this is a registry setting... does anyone
know what that could be? in the meantime, I would love a stubstitute search
program. .for Xp.. if anyone knows one that is free, that would be awesome!
I have used the repair option.. strange it didn't fix my search... I use
this all the time as I have a lot of files on my computer that I need to
find. they are categorized but when I am working on a project, I need to
pick out of those folders certain files, and now I can't do that.. ... any
help appreciated... Rainy

Claymore said:
If you haven't re-installed yet, that file should be in the i386
folder.

PMFBIH, but is this a home-version-only feature? Someone told me to do
something related to an i386 directory full of files ending in _ and my
XP Pro has no such thing. (I have checked to show hidden files,
extensions, etc.)

Jim L

Sharon F

PMFBIH, but is this a home-version-only feature? Someone told me to do
something related to an i386 directory full of files ending in _ and my
XP Pro has no such thing. (I have checked to show hidden files,
extensions, etc.)

The folder (which is visible when exploring the retail or generic OEM setup
CD) is not automatically copied to the hard drive during XP setup. Some
OEMs have opted to place a copy of the \i386\ folder on the hard drive for
their customers' convenience.

Also the service packs adds an \i386\ folder in that service pack's folder
under \Windows\. The contents of these folders are not a complete set of
the core operating system files. Instead, they contain only core files
that have been revised by that service pack.

Rainy

Well hello there.. :) I found the i386 folder on my hard drive but it was
empty... but managed to locate the file needed on my XP home cd (don't ask)
after the repair installation it showed up, doesn't make sense to me
either.. )... but still it didn't work... What is PMFBIH? :) I just
have a feeling that it is a registry error that keeps the search from
working right.. I am going to download the program that Claymore linked...
thanks Rainy

Rainy said:
I would love a stubstitute search
program. .for Xp

Yeah, searching for a dumb dog to do your searching for you.... how
everlastingly cutsie. Not searchie, but cutsie.

Jim L via the eCS 1.2r version of OS/2

Rainy

Hi Sharon, do you have any additional ideas on how to fix my search.. I am
using agent... and find it to be ok.. but would rather that everything on
my computer works right... is there a possibility that it's a registry
error? that can be easily fixed? hopefully.. or any other ideas...thanks
Rainy
Well hello there.. :)
Hi!

What is PMFBIH?
"Pardon Me For Butting In Here"
I am going to download the program that Claymore linked...

That's what I use on XP and on Vista. I like it.

Ayush

Replied to [Rainy]s message :
XP Search was working great a couple of days ago.. now when I put in
something common on my computer such as Flowers.. it says search is
complete.. but doesn't find anything.. I'm pretty sure this is a registry
error.. but don't know how to fix it... appreciate all responses... thanks
Rainy

Are you sure the settings are correct, e.g. Advanced settings
and in "Change Preference"

Rainy

settings where? if you mean right click on desktop, settings tab, advanced,
they look right.. where do I find change preference... thanks Rainy
"Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com"> wrote in message
Replied to [Rainy]s message :
[...]

Start > Search
Under advanced, are they correct
Under Type, is All Files and folders selected
Click Change Preference button, check all settings

You can also check if classic search is working :
RegEditor:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]
Right side, create/modify the value named "Use Search Asst"(without quotes) , type
"String" (REG_SZ), value "no" (without quotes)

Ayush

Replied to [Rainy]s message :
thanks... I haven't done much registry editing.. and hope this is
correct... I'm not sure they allow screenshots... but I think they do...
hope you can view it.. if this is not correct.. can you please show
me word by word how to change it.. when you right click on the name,
type and data thee are a lot of choices.. really not sure which one to
use... :) Rainy Just in case you can't view it Name is Use search asst1
type is REG_SZ and data is 0 there was nothing there before.. also no
search still.. thanks

Run the attached file.

--
→ Ayush

ÿþW\0i\0n\0d\0o\0w\0s\0 \0R\0e\0g\0i\0s\0t\0r\0y\0 \0E\0d\0i\0t\0o\0r\0 \0V\0e\0r\0s\0i\0o\0n\0 \05\0.\00\00\0
\0
\0
\0
\0[\0H\0K\0E\0Y\0_\0C\0U\0R\0R\0E\0N\0T\0_\0U\0S\0E\0R\0\\0S\0o\0f\0t\0w\0a\0r\0e\0\\0M\0i\0c\0r\0o\0s\0o\0f\0t\0\\0W\0i\0n\0d\0o\0w\0s\0\\0C\0u\0r\0r\0e\0n\0t\0V\0e\0r\0s\0i\0o\0n\0\\0E\0x\0p\0l\0o\0r\0e\0r\0\\0C\0a\0b\0i\0n\0e\0t\0S\0t\0a\0t\0e\0]\0
\0
\0"\0U\0s\0e\0 \0S\0e\0a\0r\0c\0h\0 \0A\0s\0s\0t\01\0"\0=\0-\0
\0
\0"\0U\0s\0e\0 \0S\0e\0a\0r\0c\0h\0 \0A\0s\0s\0t\0"\0=\0"\0n\0o\0"\0