Windows XP Problem Connecting

crackerzoo

I am useing a Linksys router to connect two computers.
Both are connected to the router and one to the internet.
I can not get the two to connect to each other. Linksys
says it is a windows problem. Where online could I get
information to check any windows problems.

chicagotech

The first question I always ask is if you can ping. if not, compar
ipconfig /all or post it here

chicagotec

Gary Fose [MSFT]

You have 2 computers with "standard" ethernet cables (not crossover cables) plugged into a
hub/switch? The hub/switch is plugged into the Linksys router?

Or the Linksys router is a combination router/hub and the two computers are plugged into it.

Both computers should be set to obtain an IP address automatically and when they boot up,
they should receive an IP from the router. At a command prompt you can run ipconfig and see
that it did. You should also see two IPs in succession, such as 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3.
Both machines should be able to talk to each other and both machines should be able to get
out to the Internet.

What can stop them from doing either or both is a firewall on the computers such as ICF (XP)
or Zone Alarm, BlackIce, etc. If you have any third party firewall programs on the computers,
you may have to uninstall it as just disabling it will still prevent the computers from
communicating.

It could also be caused by an antivirus program that has a component such that "protects" the
computer which could prevent communication.

So after checking the above, you should try to ping the other computer plugged into the same
router/hub. If you can ping the other IP address, then the connectivity is there. If you cannot
ping the other IP and both IPs were given to the computers by the router, then there is
something physical going on. Such as crossover cable instead of standard ethernet cable.
Router/hub configuration blocking ports. Drivers on the NICS possibly.

So if the ping works, then the rest "should work." First make sure you are getting an IP from the
router. If that is not happening, then no use moving to the next step.

Thanks,
Gary

'--'From: "crackerzoo" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "crackerzoo" <[email protected]>