Windows XP Pro shut down & log in queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have non networked pc running XP pro which is used for scientific data aquisition. I leave the PC and aquisition software running all the time but have up until recently locked the computer using ctrt+alt+delete as the system is in a remote location. I am to only legitimate user and have set myself up as an administrator.
I came to my machine yesterday and as usual found the machine on and my usual log in user name was replaced by my real name, and I found I could log in using either my real name or my usual log in name but with the same password for each.
Once logged on I found my data aquisition software closed and data lost - as if the system had crashed/power outage - although the machine was fully booted up.
I reset my data aquisition and went to lock the computer as usual but found this opened 'task manager' and had to use WIN + L to lock it.
Any idea what could have happened? Could a third party have accessed my system and set themselves up as a user/administrator? Any advice about finding out what happened and removing access for possible intruders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question