Windows XP Pro FULL will Not Install on Windows XP Media Center

matmullen

I have been told that I need to upgrade my computer to Windows XP Pro
from Media Center edition but I would need to buy the FULL version of
XP Pro.

I have done this however now when I try to install XP Pro it tells me
that the CD-KEY I am using is invalid however I have tested this key on
another computer and it worked fine (running XP Home.)

Any idea what key I need to use to install XP Pro? Thanks

How are you installing,in windows explorer ? You need to install xp cd,boot
to xp cd,select install xp,new copy,delete the partition,create one,then
let xp
format and install auto.....

Nepatsfan

(e-mail address removed),
I have been told that I need to upgrade my computer to
Windows XP Pro from Media Center edition but I would need to
buy the FULL version of XP Pro.

I have done this however now when I try to install XP Pro it
tells me that the CD-KEY I am using is invalid however I
have tested this key on another computer and it worked fine
(running XP Home.)

Any idea what key I need to use to install XP Pro? Thanks

What exactly do you mean by this statement, "I have tested this
key on another computer and it worked fine (running XP Home.)"?

A CD key supplied with a Windows XP Pro installation CD will
not work with an XP Home installation CD.

If you purchased a Full OEM version of XP Pro the CD key would
have been on a sticker attached to the packaging. If you
purchased a Full Retail version of XP Pro, the CD key can be
found on an orange sticker attached to the folder which came
with the CD inside a blue box.

Keep in mind that in order to install XP Pro on your computer
you'll need to boot from the CD and perform a clean
installation. Make sure you've backed up any files from your
current installation that you would like to transfer to the XP
Pro installation. You're also going to have to reinstall any
programs you wish to retain as well.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Mario Schmidt

I have been told that I need to upgrade my computer to Windows XP Pro
from Media Center edition but I would need to buy the FULL version of
XP Pro.

XP Media Center _is_ XP Professional (With MCE Extension). Just
Domain-joining after Setup is disallowed and runas doesn' t work anymore.

But even these limitations can easily be circumvented. Just use google.

There is a howto in "Heise Verlag" "c't special Windows XP" (german).

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
try this:
Try using the Media Center key when prompted to enter the product key.
You will be prompted for the Windows XP Professional key later in
setup(during GUI mode portion of setup).
I have seen this happen several times, most frequently with Windows Media
Center upgrades but it's not limited to them.
The product that it is looking for is the product key of the installed OS,
I suspect it's reading the wrong version of pidgen.dll for some reason at
that point in setup. I have tried to repro this a number of times and not
been able to.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: (e-mail address removed)