Windows XP "New Hardware Found"

Teresa Stanfield

We have WinXP Pro installed on 12 Computers. All 12
computers have been checked and verified to have the same
revision of BIOS, EEPROM, and hardware. On 4 of the 12
units we continuously get the message "New Hardware
Found" everytime the computer is rebooted. We have tried
to resolve the "new Hardware Found" by having it look for
drivers (local and on internet) and it is not successful.
The "New Hardware Found" wizard says the hardware
is "unknown" so we do not even know what device it thinks
it has found. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Teresa,
What is in the \windows\setupapi.log file? The last 50 lines or so
should be sufficient,
Each boot when we try to detect the device we should log the detection
information, which should at least give us the PnP id of the device that is
causing the issue. That may help narrow down what we are looking for.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]