Windows XP Loading/Shutting Down

Reaction score
Hey,

My windows xp on my laptop seems to be playing up when it comes to shutting down etc. If i click shut down it just sits there looking at me as if saying "nope!!". Super. It eventually does shut down but into standby mode, so when i get up in the morning and power it on, its powers down!! Hmmm. It also seems to be taking a long time to boot into windows too.

The only thing thats happed recently, is that i went to a mates house, installed unreal tournament and connected to his network to give him a good hiding. Im wondering if the network has anything to do with it. I do remember from many moons ago when the computer had a network card you had to have it terminated, and i know this isnt the case with modern cards, but is there maybe something networky going on, is it searching for something?!! Who knows.

Anyway, any suggestions will be greeted with open arms!!

Bodhi.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Having 'unprotected sex' can have dire consequences ... do the usual virus/spyware scans and then pop onto the Net and do a couple of on-line scans.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Mate, ive just updated my norton internet security 2005 for the next year, done a full virus check, used various anti spyware programmes and done all the window updates. I did all that BEFORE i went onto the network. But you are right about the unprotected sex!! :-/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Would you be able to roll back the system to before it happened using System Restore? Check anything thats loading on bootup that would have to be closed by the system on shutdown, as that can cause delays sometimes.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
"installed unreal tournament" have you uninstalled it yet ?

Here's a handy little tool you might like to try ... Process Explorer

;)

Ask a Question