Windows XP Explorer -Disconnected Mapped Drives

bramblewood

I have a really weird problem that I cannot resolve at all!

In explorer I used to have mapped drives with correct labels. Now the users
mapped drives say 'Disconnected Network Drives'. No red X. If you click on
these links it shows the mapped drive to a Windows 2000 SBS server but the
name of mapped drive still says 'Disconnected Network Drive'. If you go to
tools and try and unmap drives you get a message that no drives mapped.

This user does not have any logon scripts set. I have tried Safe Mode
without networking and explorer does not show mapped drives. Safe mode with
networking has the explorer 'Disconnected Network Drives' with same problem.
I have tried a new user account on PC and still have the problem. I have
uninstalled the Anti-Virus McAfee 8.0i and still same problem.

HELP!

Phil

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Phil,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I will suggest you try the following steps to troubleshoot
this issue:

Step1. Check the following registry keys to see if it shows the correct
mapped drives:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\NETWORK\
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\NETWORK\

Step2. Logon with this user account on other Windows XP clients
Please logon with this user account on other Windows XP clients to see if
the issue still occurs.

Step3. Logon with another user account to test
On the Windows XP client, please logon with other user accounts to see if
the issue still occurs.

Step4. Use commands to delete the maps:
Please use the following command to see if you can delete the mapped drives:
net use /persistent:no
net use * /delete /y

Would you please send me a screen shot of the error message when you try to
disconnect the mapped drives?

To take a screen shot:
---------------------
1. Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
appears.
2. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
Click OK.
3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
4. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
5. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
My mailbox: (e-mail address removed)

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "bramblewood" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Windows XP Explorer -Disconnected Mapped Drives
| Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:29:08 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| I have a really weird problem that I cannot resolve at all!
|
| In explorer I used to have mapped drives with correct labels. Now the
users
| mapped drives say 'Disconnected Network Drives'. No red X. If you click
on
| these links it shows the mapped drive to a Windows 2000 SBS server but
the
| name of mapped drive still says 'Disconnected Network Drive'. If you go
| tools and try and unmap drives you get a message that no drives mapped.
|
| This user does not have any logon scripts set. I have tried Safe Mode
| without networking and explorer does not show mapped drives. Safe mode
with
| networking has the explorer 'Disconnected Network Drives' with same
problem.
| I have tried a new user account on PC and still have the problem. I have
| uninstalled the Anti-Virus McAfee 8.0i and still same problem.
|
| HELP!
|
| Phil

bramblewood

Ken,

Thanks for the email to try some suggestions. Here are the findings. Word
document with findings sent to your email

Step1. Check the following registry keys to see if it shows the correct
mapped drives:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\NETWORK\
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\NETWORK\

Results:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\NETWORK\

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network]

Has no entries

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\NETWORK\

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network]

Has no entries

Step2. Logon with this user account on other Windows XP clients
Please logon with this user account on other Windows XP clients to see if
the issue still occurs.

Results:

When you log in as same user account on another XP Client the mapped drives
are labelled correctly and appear even though we have no Logon Script! If
you then go to IE Explorer and disconnect drives you can disconnect but the
mapped drives still appear in explorer saying "Disconnected Network Drive".
You go to command prompt and run

net use /persistent:no - command successful
net use * /delete /y - No mapped entries message

If you then log off and back on with same user account, there are
disconnected mapped drives in IE.

Step3. Logon with another user account to test
On the Windows XP client, please logon with other user accounts to see if
the issue still occurs.

Results:

Still have the "Disconnected Network Drives" on the same XP Client.

Step4. Use commands to delete the maps:
Please use the following command to see if you can delete the mapped drives:
net use /persistent:no
net use * /delete /y

Results:

net use /persistent:no - command successful
net use * /delete /y - No mapped entries message

Regards,

Phil

Philip Walker

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Phil,

Thanks for your efforts and response!

I have received your email. From your reply, this issue seems to be
occurring on more than one computer and more than one user. Is it right?

I suggest we first restart the computer in Safe Mode with Network to see if
the problem also occurs in this mode. Safe Mode loads a minimally
protected-mode configuration, disabling Windows device drivers and using
the standard VGA display adapter.

1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.

Note: Some third party applications and hardware device cannot be used
during Safe Mode.

Also please check on the system that experiences the problems and see if it
shows the entries in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPo
ints2
OR
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Mount
Points2

If the problem persists, I would like for you to export and send me the
following registry key of the problem system:
HKLM\System\MountedDevices

In addition, if you have installed any third party antivirus program or
firewall, please temporarily remove them and test the issue again.

More reference:
===============
305355: Some Compaq Programs Cause Mapped Drives to Be Disconnected
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305355

306117: Mapped Drives in Windows Explorer May Retain the Name of a
Disconnected Drive
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306117

Thanks again for your efforts and I am standing by for your feedback. If
you have anything unclear, please feel free to post back.

> [...]

try
| > disconnect the mapped drives?
| >
| > To take a screen shot:
| > ---------------------
| > 1. Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
| > appears.
| > 2. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and
then
| > Click OK.
| > 3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
| > 4. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
| > 5. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
| > My mailbox: (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > | I have a really weird problem that I cannot resolve at all!
| > |
| > | In explorer I used to have mapped drives with correct labels. Now the
| > users
| > | mapped drives say 'Disconnected Network Drives'. No red X. If you
click
| > on
| > | these links it shows the mapped drive to a Windows 2000 SBS server but
| > the
| > | name of mapped drive still says 'Disconnected Network Drive'. If you
go
| > | tools and try and unmap drives you get a message that no drives
mapped.
| > |
| > | This user does not have any logon scripts set. I have tried Safe Mode
| > | without networking and explorer does not show mapped drives. Safe mode
| > with
| > | networking has the explorer 'Disconnected Network Drives' with same
| > problem.
| > | I have tried a new user account on PC and still have the problem. I
have
| > | uninstalled the Anti-Virus McAfee 8.0i and still same problem.
| > |
| > | HELP!
| > |
| > | Phil
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Guys

I am having the exact same problem. The only new thing installed (updated)
lately is Norton antivirus server and client 10.x. It does seem like this
problem started after this update. Have you found anything since the last
post?

Thanks

Jamie
--
Thank you

Ken Zhao said:
> [...]

click
| > on
| > | these links it shows the mapped drive to a Windows 2000 SBS server but
| > the
| > | name of mapped drive still says 'Disconnected Network Drive'. If you
go
| > | tools and try and unmap drives you get a message that no drives
mapped.
| > |
| > | This user does not have any logon scripts set. I have tried Safe Mode
| > | without networking and explorer does not show mapped drives. Safe mode
| > with
| > | networking has the explorer 'Disconnected Network Drives' with same
| > problem.
| > | I have tried a new user account on PC and still have the problem. I
have
| > | uninstalled the Anti-Virus McAfee 8.0i and still same problem.
| > |
| > | Phil
| > |
| > |