Windows will not shut down.

Bern

I recenetly installed XP over Windows 98. Now it will not
shut down. Window to close, pops up to "turn off", but
will not shut down. I've been doing manually on tower, but
scan runs when I restart.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Your computer stops responding when you try to shut down in Windows XP

Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308029&Product=winxp#3

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP