Windows Vista Windows Vista SP2

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just one oddity to report. After the SP2 update, my Wacom graphics tablet led light began to pulse. Normally it's just a steady blue light. I checked in Device Manager, but that only reported it was working correctly, so overnight I removed the USB. I have just tried plugging it in again and it is still pulsing instead of steady. :mad:

EDIT: Hmm... I have just been Googling, and, it looks as if the tablet is now functioning correctly! Apparently, it should have been pulsing when idle, so sorry Vista, looks like I owe it an apology.
bowdown.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
so sorry Vista, looks like I owe it an apology.
bowdown.gif

Sod that idea...I think MS owe us enugh appologies over the years not to worry about that one..After installing SP2 my machine wouldn't recognise my USB HDD, but this morning it does. Don't know if it was related or not though. Never had trouble with it before. Computer actually seems nice and responsive today. A lot quicker than the last install of Vista..:thumb:

Reaction score
itsme said:
Think I will stay with XP after reading this lot:lol:

My PC went t*ts up the other night and I came close to re-installing XP Pro..I have only been on Vista a few months, but have begun to like it..RAn a trialof W 7 and liked that even more..Go on Itsy, make the change, you'll love it...:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nah, not worth changing this late in the day, Vista will soon be just another page in MS's history right there alongside ME :lol:

May as well wait for Win 7 rather than throw a hundred quid down the drain on Vista :)

If Win 7 wasn't around the corner I would say buy Vista, but it is.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well my gf's lappy and my bro's lappy both running sweet as a nut on Vista SP2 now :D

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm running SP2 now as well and no bugs 20 mins in LOL.....something is a bit strange though, all of a sudden i now have 40GB extra space come from somewhere.....tell me this was supposed to happen....somebody ....please.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi folks,

I'm running SP2 now as well and no bugs 20 mins in LOL.....something is a bit strange though, all of a sudden i now have 40GB extra space come from somewhere.....tell me this was supposed to happen....somebody ....please.
Zzzzz

New York maybe..They thoughtbifntheoffered tehnIrish sommit over here the rest would follow, asdid i them days....Or they6 could br giving out freee patoes

Sorry Zed, poor taste I knw..Roasties are better....lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
New York maybe..They thoughtbifntheoffered tehnIrish sommit over here the rest would follow, asdid i them days....Or they6 could br giving out freee patoes

Sorry Zed, poor taste I knw..Roasties are better....lol
I could only make half of that out man...were you laffin whilst typin
The bit i could make out was funny even if it was supposed to be the scots. LOL
Zzzzz

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi folks,

Zzzzz

I don't have an answer, but, I too have apparently "gained" more space on my HD too it was previously about one-third full, whereas now it is only about one-sixth! :lol: Yay! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It maybe something to do with the old SP1 data files being removed, i was reading something about it last night. :)

Ill find a link later if i can.

Reaction score
I agree it could be because of removed files man but 40GB is a heck of a chunk of files....if thats the case we should be blocking these updates, but that leaves us open to allsorts of problemmas....anyway i'm happy i got it back. YaaaY also
nod.gif

Zzzzz

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
My PC went t*ts up the other night and I came close to re-installing XP Pro..I have only been on Vista a few months, but have begun to like it..RAn a trialof W 7 and liked that even more..Go on Itsy, make the change, you'll love it...:thumb:

I did make the change some 12mths ago a load off CRAP in MHO:wall: So I went back to XP and am staying there for now..:nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Today I tried yet again to install Vista Service Pack 2 and yet again I've had no success.

During the last few days I've had a few problems with a window telling me Vista cannot upgrade. As well as that, Vista wouldn't shut down in the usual manner, I had to hold the power button in to shut down.

This morning that problem resolved itself and so I thought I'd try and install SP2 again. It got further than previous eforts, telling me 'Stage Three of Three 100% complete' but shortly after informed me SP2 failed to install. Yippee.

On reboot I checked updates and was surprised to find SP2 listed as an optional update, it hadn't been listed previously. So I had a look on MS's website and tried the first step of their trouble shooting process, which was to install something called 'System Readiness Update Tool' Downloaded it, installed it, and went to run it, but.... ok, where is it?

It doesn't run from the folder I downloaded it to, it's not in the start menu anywhere and when I tried to run updates from within Control panel as MS suggested, bugger-all happened :confused:

Well, I thought, that was a load of crap wasn't it?

So I had another go at installing SP2, this time from within the update facility within Vista.

Did it work? Did it buggery, exactly the same as before, 'Stage 3 of of 3 100% complete, no, wait, we don't like you mr flops so you're not getting SP2' :lol:

What a load of old cobblers eh?

Reaction score
Hi Flopps,

SP2 really doesn't like you lol.

When you get the "Failed to install" message, does it give you an error code or anything ?

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Today I tried yet again to install Vista Service Pack 2 and yet again I've had no success.

During the last few days I've had a few problems with a window telling me Vista cannot upgrade. As well as that, Vista wouldn't shut down in the usual manner, I had to hold the power button in to shut down.

This morning that problem resolved itself and so I thought I'd try and install SP2 again. It got further than previous eforts, telling me 'Stage Three of Three 100% complete' but shortly after informed me SP2 failed to install. Yippee.

On reboot I checked updates and was surprised to find SP2 listed as an optional update, it hadn't been listed previously. So I had a look on MS's website and tried the first step of their trouble shooting process, which was to install something called 'System Readiness Update Tool' Downloaded it, installed it, and went to run it, but.... ok, where is it?

It doesn't run from the folder I downloaded it to, it's not in the start menu anywhere and when I tried to run updates from within Control panel as MS suggested, bugger-all happened :confused:

Well, I thought, that was a load of crap wasn't it?

So I had another go at installing SP2, this time from within the update facility within Vista.

Did it work? Did it buggery, exactly the same as before, 'Stage 3 of of 3 100% complete, no, wait, we don't like you mr flops so you're not getting SP2' :lol:

What a load of old cobblers eh?

Any luck with the link I sent you the other day..?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Any luck with the link I sent you the other day..?

If that was a huge list of terribly complicated stuff, whilst I apreciate your trying to help to be quite honest I just can't be arsed with it.

If I want awkward I'll use Linux, I paid a hundred quid for Vista to get supposed Microsoft ease of use, plainly not an option with Vista. I did glance at that list of fixes and I don't honestly think I understand half of it at least.

And to round things off Win 7 has just told me my activation period has expired and therefore it's telling me I do not have a genuine copy of Windows. Well, that's because I can't bloody well get online to activate it :mad:

Tonight, I hate Microsoft with a vengeance, loathe them, detest them, want to kick Steve Bullmer right up the nuts and pull down their building.

XP for games and Linux for office stuff? Seriously tempted.

Simmer, simmer, simmer... I will say Vista has run hiccup-free for 17 months but, but..... gaaaaaaah! :mad:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
If that was a huge list of terribly complicated stuff, whilst I apreciate your trying to help to be quite honest I just can't be arsed with it.

If I want awkward I'll use Linux, I paid a hundred quid for Vista to get supposed Microsoft ease of use, plainly not an option with Vista. I did glance at that list of fixes and I don't honestly think I understand half of it at least.

And to round things off Win 7 has just told me my activation period has expired and therefore it's telling me I do not have a genuine copy of Windows. Well, that's because I can't bloody well get online to activate it :mad:

Tonight, I hate Microsoft with a vengeance, loathe them, detest them, want to kick Steve Bullmer right up the nuts and pull down their building.

XP for games and Linux for office stuff? Seriously tempted.

Simmer, simmer, simmer... I will say Vista has run hiccup-free for 17 months but, but..... gaaaaaaah! :mad:

Well yeah it was a long list of crap, but the short of it was all you had to do was check your updates for KB ******* ( I can't find the post so can't remeber the exact KB number) if that paticular KB was missing from your updates then you shuld chose from the selection near the top of the page and install, restart machine and proceed with installing SP2..Not that difficult really, although MS have made it look difficult by adding 10 tonnes of useless crap...
wallbash.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Well yeah it was a long list of crap, but the short of it was all you had to do was check your updates for KB ******* ( I can't find the post so can't remeber the exact KB number) if that paticular KB was missing from your updates then you shuld chose from the selection near the top of the page and install, restart machine and proceed with installing SP2..Not that difficult really, although MS have made it look difficult by adding 10 tonnes of useless crap...
wallbash.gif

Ok, thanks for that. I have all the critical updates for Vista SP1 installed, the only updates I haven't installed are optional, such as Silverlight and video card drivers so I'd imagine I'm up to date.

But...... if I can find the thread where you provided that link I'll take another look.

Ask a Question