windows vista antivirus programs !!

Milo

I would stand neurtral on such

Choose from these names:
Onecare / BitDefender / Kaspersky / TrendMicro

The following are the only names I would trust

Charlie42

Carey Frisch said:
AV-Comparatives and Virus Bulletin have not tested OneCare
v.2.5 When they do, you'll be quite surprised how OneCare has
progressed from v.2.0

I will watch the sites and ask again later then.

Charlie42

+Bob+

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:21:12 -0700, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

In all fairness, it's their *retail* version which can play havoc with
pc's. AFAIK the *corporate* isues are pretty good :)

I might take exception to that. I used to consult at a major computer
manufacturer ($20b+ in sales). The corporate standard was to use
Norton. I often brought in hardware when I was there. One day I
noticed a serious speed difference in network copying between the
Norton encrusted systems and my own. So, we did some testing. We used
very strict and repetitive test conditions on their Norton bound
systems. The end result was that having Norton turned on during
network copies slowed the copies by a factor of about 22 times.

We started researching in Norton's support database and there was a
bulletin on the problem as a "known issue" with network copying. It
had been a known issue since Windows 95. Apparently they didn't seem
to think it would matter to customers.

I have to be fair to Nor ton that I have not done these tests again in
the last couple years - but I started advising everyone to take it off
their systems back then and I don't feel guilty still advising that.

+Bob+

I would stand neurtral on such

Choose from these names:
Onecare / BitDefender / Kaspersky / TrendMicro

The following are the only names I would trust

You left out any you trust. I think you meant to write "AVG".

Morton

Kayman said:
A number of experts agree that the retail AV version of McAfee, Norton and
Trend Micro has become cumbersome and bloated for the average user.

The major criticisms are related to stability and footprint, the most
common problem being slow-downs because of the massive system resources
hogs. There are products on the market with equal or better test results
than Symantec's products, consuming less resources at a lower price (even
free ones).

The retail version of these apps can play havoc with your pc. Uninstall it
using propriety uninstall tools:

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and try to get a refund:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003
products and Norton 360 from your computer.

Removal tools for recent Mcafee products:-
Request assistance from here:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/
or download and run:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html
or
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033&partner=10005&type=TS
or
Download and run the McAfee Removal tool:
https://us.mcafee.com/root/MCPR2.exe
If you receive a security alert, click Yes.
Click Save to download the file to a location on your computer.
Navigate to the location where the file was saved.
Ensure all McAfee application windows are closed.
Double-click MCPR2.exe to run the removal tool.
Note: Windows Vista users must right-click and select Run as Administrator.
Restart your computer when prompted. Your McAfee products will not be fully
removed until you restart.
All McAfee products are now removed from your computer.'
or
Remove all remnants of McAfee...
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/McAfee-Consumer-Product-Removal-Tool.shtml

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the
McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=4105&partner=McAfee&type=TS&ia=1

IMPORTANT: If your McAfee products were preinstalled by the manufacturer of
your computer, please make sure to activate your McAfee subscription before
uninstalling. Reinstalling from a CD or download will only install your
McAfee consumer applications, but may not recover your paid subscription
term information.

There are many good free AV applications available, and almost everyone has
his favorite. Most of the users are emotionally attached to their av
application and will have excellent reasons for not recommending any other
brand.
The most important thing here is that all of the available choices listed
here are better in some respects than in others, and which choice is better
for *you* depends on what you do, how you work, and which features you use.
The way you use your PC is different from others.
Have a look at this:
and be guided accordingly.
Good info can be obtained here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20
and here:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

If the above is too deluging consider this:-
Real-time AV applications - for viral malware.
Do not utilize more than one (1) real-time anti-virus scanning engine!
Disable the e-mail scanning function during installation (Custom
Installation on some AV apps.) as it provides no additional protection.

Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail
Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Avira AntiVir® Personal - FREE Antivirus
http://www.free-av.com/
You may wish to consider removing the 'AntiVir Nagscreen'
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm
or
Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
It includes ANTI-SPYWARE protection, certified by the West Coast Labs
Checkmark process, and ANTI-ROOTKIT DETECTION based on the best-in class
GMER technology.
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)
or
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/
(Choose custom install and untick the email scanner plugin.)
or
ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
http://www.eset.com/
or
Kaspersky® Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free
http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser

and (optional but highly recommendable)

On-demand AV applications.
(add them to your arsenal and use them as a "second opinion" av scanner).
David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV Tool
http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/01/09/scan-your-computer-with-multiple-anti-virus-for-free/
Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm
and/or
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
There's no updating involved since the scanning engine is updated
several times a day and you simply download the updated scanner whenever
you want to do a scan.

Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
Note: It is Free for private use. Just download (do NOT buy) and install.

A-S applications - for non-viral malware.
The effectiveness of an individual A-S scanners can be wide-ranging and
oftentimes a collection of scanners is best. There isn't one software that
cleans and immunizes you against everything. That's why you need multiple
products to do the job i.e. overlap their coverage - one may catch what
another may miss, (grab'em all).

SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
and
Ad-Aware 2007 - Free
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html
and
Spybot Search & Destroy - Free
and
Windows Defender - Free (build-in in Vista)
WD monitors the start-registry and hooks registers/files to prevent spyware
and worms to install to the OS.
Interesting reading:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136195/article.html
"...Windows Defender did excel in behavior-based protection, which detects
changes to key areas of the system without having to know anything about
the actual threat."

A clarification on the terminology: the word "malware" is short for
"malicious software." Most Anti-Virus applications detect many types of
malware such as viruses, worms, trojans, etc.
What AV applications usually don't detect is "non-viral" malware, and the
term "non-viral malware" is normally used to refer to things like spyware
and adware.

Many experts suggest that Windows Live One Care is on the bottom of the
list as far as finding virus\malware\trojan.

You are not going to find anything better than the Vista FW and Vista in
itself due to the advanced features the FW and Vista are using.

Managing the Windows Vista Firewall
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc510323.aspx

Vista Firewall Control (Free versions available).
Protects your applications from undesirable network incoming and outgoing
activity, controls applications internet access.
http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/
The free version may be all you need, check the comparisons under
the "Download and Buy" link.

Good luck :)
Hi,

Taking the advice of several posters, I downloaded Avast, and then
deleted Norton 360 with the Norton Removal Tool. My computer now runs
much faster than before, a major improvement. Free is also nice.

Thanks for the good advice.

Morton Linder

Kayman

[...]

you seem to be pretty up-to-date, got any more tales to tell? Zzzzzzzzzz

Ken Blake, MVP

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:21:12 -0700, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

In all fairness, it's their *retail* version which can play havoc with
pc's. AFAIK the *corporate* isues are pretty good :)

Yes, I understand the same thing. I have no personal experience with
the corporate version of Norton, but I've heard good things about it
too.

I was referring only to the retail version, which is what almost
everyone here means when they talk about their anti-virus software.

Kayman

Yes, I understand the same thing. I have no personal experience with
the corporate version of Norton, but I've heard good things about it
too.

I was referring only to the retail version, which is what almost
everyone here means when they talk about their anti-virus software.

Yes, you're right. My reponse was probably too trivial; Sorry about that.

+Bob+

you seem to be pretty up-to-date, got any more tales to tell? Zzzzzzzzzz

Perhaps you can't read between the lines. Let me help you out: The
point is that any company that would have this kind of major flaw in
their software for years and leave it unfixed has no concern for the
customers, even their (most important) corporate customers. Their only
concern was to document it as "known issue".

If you want to business with a company with those policies, go for it.
You can let us know which flaws you find in the latest version. I'll
go with a product without known serious flaws.

Hank Arnold (MVP)

+Bob+ said:
[...]

I have to concur. At the Hospice I support, I "upgraded" to Symantec CE.
The first thing that struck you was that a client scan basically took
over the machine. The employee basically had a useless machine until it
finished.

The console was horrible and difficult to use with very limited options.
I also found that just about any update virtually required a reinstall
and pushing out new client code. Not a pretty sight.... :-(

We ended up switching to Sophos End Point Security and never looked
back. If anyone wants, I can discuss it, but since the OP seemed
interested in personal AV software, not Corporate...

Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services

Kayman

Perhaps you can't read between the lines.

Well, I was never trained reading between the lines...
Let me help you out:

....and at my age I am not really interested.

<snip for brevity>

Read my original response to the original poster, this may (or may not)
give you some idea where I coming from.

Brittany D

I agree with Ken Blake on this one. Personally I just switched over to Avast
and it is an incredibly accurate product. Free to boot!! And does not slow
down my computer one bit, even when scanning the HDD and I have it on
'thorough scan'.

I also use Ad-Aware (free version) and love it. I've not had any problems
with spyware, malware, viruses or adware since using these products.

Much luck to you!

Brittany D

Paul Montgomery

I also use Ad-Aware (free version) and love it. I've not had any problems
with spyware, malware, viruses or adware since using these products.

Don't depend on only one. I really don't like Ad-Aware myself. It
seems to be overly sensitive about "tracking cookies".

Ken Blake, MVP

I agree with Ken Blake on this one. Personally I just switched over to Avast
and it is an incredibly accurate product. Free to boot!! And does not slow
down my computer one bit, even when scanning the HDD and I have it on
'thorough scan'.

By the way, one of my favorite features of Avast is that you can set
it to scan automatically whenever your screen saver comes on, so you
never have to actually initiate a scan yourself. I mention this only
in case you're not aware of it.

Paul Montgomery

By the way, one of my favorite features of Avast is that you can set
it to scan automatically whenever your screen saver comes on, so you
never have to actually initiate a scan yourself. I mention this only
in case you're not aware of it.

Is periodic scanning really necessary given Avast's real-time
protection?

Flight

kemo said:
Hmm, try NOD 32 antivirus with Spybot installed, I don't think, you will
get "infected" with some kind of virus, spyware and so on... thats my
combination and my system is clear, fresh and fast...

PS:

Every day are ppl coming to our company to reinstall their OS to Win XP
or Vista, and every time they told me and pleased me to DON'T install
McAfee and other bullsh*t (sorry for that word) to their laptops or
desktop PCs, I tried this stuff one TIME, and it was at last I ever did
that, this kind of software really smash your system...

:))

// kemo

Do it more simple and cheaper: Avira Security Suite asks half of the price
others ask and scores always very good in test bulletins: it always belongs
to the first three, and is simple to install.

swalkerco

cameccas said:
Hi why does everytime i download an antivirus program like MC AFEE or NORTON
my computer starts running more slowly ? it even freezes,why? doesn't it has
to run better because it's cleaning all the bad stuff??
I even baught the NORTON 360 ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY and it made my computer run
very ,very slow !!! what program can I get that would make my PC run better
and safe ??
DON"T BUY WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE. I Tried it and it ground my computer to a
halt. That thing is a resource pig and made my performance worse and it got
so bad that I immediately uninstalled it!

Gordon

DON"T BUY WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE. I Tried it and it ground my computer to
halt. That thing is a resource pig and made my performance worse and it
got
so bad that I immediately uninstalled it!

I didn't get the slow-down, but I did get a stupid thing that immediately it
ran the "tune-up" function, it told me there were critical updates missing,
when in fact there weren't. What it REALLY meant was, not that there were
critical updates missing but that there were SOME updates missing. (I had
hidden hardware driver updates as I get these from the vendor...) so I
binned it....stupid program....

Tom Allen

"(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
DON"T BUY WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE. I Tried it and it ground my computer
to a
halt. That thing is a resource pig and made my performance worse and
it got
so bad that I immediately uninstalled it!

It certainly had an adverse effect on my old 2.5GHz/256MB XP machine
especially at boot and initial program loads but no noticable effect on
either of my Vista machines, dual core/4GB and quad core/3GB, both of
which remain extremely lively.

Tom

hassa