Windows Update not working

Have: Dell 4600 XP SP-2
When I try to run Windows Update, I get the following:
Error number: 0x8DDD0004
“The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view.â€
I have tried getting help from Microsoft, here is what they instructed:
(They have not yet responded to my reply stating that these steps did not
work.)

Step 1: Remove the temporary folder for Windows Update.
===============
This behavior may occur if the temporary folder for Windows Update has
been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to remove this
Folder. Please be assured the folder will be created again when we visit
the Windows Update site again.

Note: before we perform the following steps, please ensure we use an
account with administrator privilege to log on to the system.

Please click Start, click Run, type in "cmd" (without quotations) and
press Enter. Please run the following commands in the opened window to
remove the folder.

1. Type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press Enter.
You will receive a message stating the Automatic Updates service was
stopped successfully.
2. Type in "RD /s %windir%\softwaredistribution" (without quotations)
and press Enter. Please press Y when you are prompted to remove the
folder.
3. Type in "net start WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press Enter to
restart the Automatic Updates service.

After that, please try to access the Windows Update site again. If the
issue persists, let us refer to the next suggestion.

Step 2: Re-register system files.
====================
This issue can also occur if the system files that will be used by the
Windows Update have not been registered. Since there are many system
files need to be checked, I suggest we use the following method to
re-register these files:

1. Click Start, Run, type: notepad C:\register.bat and press Enter.
Choose Yes when you are prompted.
2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened
Notepad window.

net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s
regsvr32 wups.dll /s
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s
regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s
regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s
regsvr32 msxml.dll /s
regsvr32 msxml2.dll /s
regsvr32 msxml3.dll /s
regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s
net start wuauserv
regsvr32 softpub.dll /s
regsvr32 initpki.dll /s
regsvr32 mssip32.dll /s
regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s
regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s
regsvr32 jscript.dll /s

3. After you paste the above commands, please close the Notepad window.
Choose Yes when you are prompted to save the file.
4. Click Start, Run, type: C:\register.bat and press Enter to run the
commands we have pasted.

Rock

product53 said:
Have: Dell 4600 XP SP-2
When I try to run Windows Update, I get the following:
Error number: 0x8DDD0004
“The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view.â€
I have tried getting help from Microsoft, here is what they instructed:
(They have not yet responded to my reply stating that these steps did not
work.)

<snip>

It would be best if you posted to the experts in the Windows Update
Newsgroup. When you do so also describe what you mean by "these steps
did not work". What exactly did or didn't happen - error messages at
any step of the way, etc.