Windows startup

Abay

Hello ... I am asking this question here as I cannot find a Win2000 English
speaking newsgroup ... I use Windowsxp at home and have just started work on
a Windows2000 system at the office.

My question ... how can I disable some start-up items on my office computer
(it has a lot of garbage initially loaded that's not needed). I tried
running msconfig, which I have used since win98 but it doesn't come up.
Seems strange it would be present in win98 and xp but not in 2000.

I have seen answers to this question on this newsgroup, and the suggestion
to use a third part tool to do this .. I would prefer to use a m'soft
windows tool if possible, if not then I will look at third party stuff.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Abay

db

this might be helpful:
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?srch=105&FORM=IE7RE&q=win+2000+services

- db
Hello ... I am asking this question here as I cannot find a Win2000 English
speaking newsgroup ... I use Windowsxp at home and have just started work on
a Windows2000 system at the office.

My question ... how can I disable some start-up items on my office computer
(it has a lot of garbage initially loaded that's not needed). I tried
running msconfig, which I have used since win98 but it doesn't come up.
Seems strange it would be present in win98 and xp but not in 2000.

I have seen answers to this question on this newsgroup, and the suggestion
to use a third part tool to do this .. I would prefer to use a m'soft
windows tool if possible, if not then I will look at third party stuff.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Abay

Wesley Vogel

Windows 2000 does not have msconfig.exe.

Either use a 3rd party tool or get...
MSCONFIG DOWNLOAD HERE
http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

I have XP Pro and use both of these instead of msconfig anyway.

StartMan has an option that takes you to
http://www.sysinfo.org/startupinfo.html
when your right click an entry and select Identify.

Also with StartMan, clicking on the Help menu, you can select Identifying
Startups (Pacman's Portal)... It sends you to
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

[[StartMan is an extended 'msconfig' Startup Manager, designed to take
control of all those pesky programs and background services that load and
run at logon - most of which you probably don't need. As well as providing
the usual trouble-shooting options to enable or disable startups, StartMan
also permits the removal of startups.
Duplicate Detection and Removal, a unique feature of StartMan, can be
configured to remove all duplicates automatically, with or without
prompting.
Orphan Detection and Removal. As above, for orphaned startups.
Executable Detection and Removal. As above, for executables.
Includes a full range of sorting options to make it easier to locate a
specific startup - by name, by filename - even by command line parameter! ]]

StartMan v1.3.96
http://www.pt.lu/comnet/desc/startman.html

StartMan v1.3.96 Direct download
http://www.pt.lu/comnet/files/utils/startman10396.exe
-----

Startup Control Panel is another pretty good application.

[[Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that allows you to
easily configure which programs run when your computer starts. It's simple
to use and, like all my programs, is very small and won't burden your
system. A valuable tool for system administrators!]]

Download the EXE Version and just extract the executable wherever you want.

Startup Control Panel
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Abay

Many thanks for your reply ... will download msconfig at the office tomorrow
and get back to you .. Abay

Abay said:
Hello ... I am asking this question here as I cannot find a Win2000
English speaking newsgroup ... I use Windowsxp at home and have just
started work on a Windows2000 system at the office.

My question ... how can I disable some start-up items on my office
computer (it has a lot of garbage initially loaded that's not needed). I
tried running msconfig, which I have used since win98 but it doesn't come
up. Seems strange it would be present in win98 and xp but not in 2000.

I have seen answers to this question on this newsgroup, and the
suggestion
to use a third part tool to do this .. I would prefer to use a m'soft
windows tool if possible, if not then I will look at third party stuff.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Abay

Abay

Many thanks for your reply .. will check it out .. Abay
"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message this might be helpful:
[...]

Rock

Abay said:
Hello ... I am asking this question here as I cannot find a Win2000
English speaking newsgroup ... I use Windowsxp at home and have just
started work on a Windows2000 system at the office.

My question ... how can I disable some start-up items on my office
computer (it has a lot of garbage initially loaded that's not needed). I
tried running msconfig, which I have used since win98 but it doesn't come
up. Seems strange it would be present in win98 and xp but not in 2000.

I have seen answers to this question on this newsgroup, and the suggestion
to use a third part tool to do this .. I would prefer to use a m'soft
windows tool if possible, if not then I will look at third party stuff.

Hard to understand why you can't find the win2k newsgroup. You are using
OE. Just add the MS news server, news.microsoft.com, then just look at the
newsgroups under microsoft.public.win2000. Here is a list of MS public
newsgroups: http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

db

you're welcome.

[...]

Alias

Abay said:
Many thanks for your reply ... will download msconfig at the office tomorrow
and get back to you .. Abay

It'll work.

Alias

Abay said:
Hello ... I am asking this question here as I cannot find a Win2000
English speaking newsgroup ... I use Windowsxp at home and have just
started work on a Windows2000 system at the office.

My question ... how can I disable some start-up items on my office
computer (it has a lot of garbage initially loaded that's not needed). I
tried running msconfig, which I have used since win98 but it doesn't come
up. Seems strange it would be present in win98 and xp but not in 2000.

I have seen answers to this question on this newsgroup, and the
suggestion
to use a third part tool to do this .. I would prefer to use a m'soft
windows tool if possible, if not then I will look at third party stuff.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Abay

Frank

Abay said:
Hello ... I am asking this question here as I cannot find a Win2000
English speaking newsgroup ... I use Windowsxp at home and have just
started work on a Windows2000 system at the office.

My question ... how can I disable some start-up items on my office
computer (it has a lot of garbage initially loaded that's not needed).
I tried running msconfig, which I have used since win98 but it doesn't
come up. Seems strange it would be present in win98 and xp but not in
2000.

I have seen answers to this question on this newsgroup, and the
suggestion to use a third part tool to do this .. I would prefer to
use a m'soft windows tool if possible, if not then I will look at
third party stuff.

Any help would be most appreciated.

There is no MSCONFIG in Windows 2000.
REGEDIT