Windows Share - Prompt for Different Username and Password

B

Bob

Hi All!

I understand how to connect to a Windows share using the net use command to specify the username and password.

Is there some application or utility that could make a dialogue box to prompt for that information?

I have users that login with one set of credentials, and then need to map a share with a different username and password. They aren't able to use the net use command manually, I have to make it more user-friendly than that.

And this is a mixed environment actually, though mostly XP, there are some 95/98/2K machines too.

So any way to make a dialogue box come up on startup that would prompt for another username/password pair, and use that to kick off the proper net use command?

Thanks - Bob

R

Robert L [MS-MVP]

I would create a batch file with username but password to map the drive.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
Hi All!

I understand how to connect to a Windows share using the net use command to specify the username and password.

Is there some application or utility that could make a dialogue box to prompt for that information?

I have users that login with one set of credentials, and then need to map a share with a different username and password. They aren't able to use the net use command manually, I have to make it more user-friendly than that.

And this is a mixed environment actually, though mostly XP, there are some 95/98/2K machines too.

So any way to make a dialogue box come up on startup that would prompt for another username/password pair, and use that to kick off the proper net use command?

Thanks - Bob

Ask a Question