Windows Server 2003 - Out of licenses

Rene Verhagen

Hello,

Our Windows 2003 Server repeatedly has a problem with its licenses. We
own 20 client access licenses, but periodically the server "loses"
those licenses. We then re-add the licenses and all this works fine
for a day or two, and then the licenses have gone again!

I have tried Microsoft's advisory regarding to resetting the License
Manager information in KBA 153140
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q153140), but
that wouldn't work. The problem was that after applying the procedure
mentioned in that KBA, licenses could not be re-addded because of a
security problem. Problem here was that CPL.CFG was not auto-recreated
by the License Logging Service. We solved that one by applying Eric
Shen's procedure that he mentions in another Google-thread on this
subject, see http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...z02T3hdDHA.2000%40cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl&rnum=1.
After applying the CACLS-procedure that is mentioned, licenses can be
added without a problem.

Our original problem, however, is still there: from time to time
(mostly within days), our licenses are "lost" and we have to re-add
them to the server.

Anyone?

Best regards,
Rene Verhagen

David Pharr [MSFT]

The license logging service was initially created as a tool to assist
administrators with keeping track of their licenses. Microsoft does not
use this tool to enforce compliance with licensing - as long as you
maintain the proper paperwork regarding your licensing you will be in
compliance.

By default, in Windows Server 2003 the License Logging Service is disabled.
Due to the many changes with the licensing of various Microsoft product,
the license logging service has never worked well, will not be fixed and
will not be included in future versions of the product as outlined in the
following Microsoft knowledge base article:

824196 Description of the License Logging Service in Windows Server
Operating
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824196

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Rene Verhagen)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
| Subject: Windows Server 2003 - Out of licenses
| Date: 6 Aug 2004 06:42:55 -0700
|
| Hello,
|
| Our Windows 2003 Server repeatedly has a problem with its licenses. We
| own 20 client access licenses, but periodically the server "loses"
| those licenses. We then re-add the licenses and all this works fine
| for a day or two, and then the licenses have gone again!
|
| I have tried Microsoft's advisory regarding to resetting the License
| Manager information in KBA 153140
| (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q153140), but
| that wouldn't work. The problem was that after applying the procedure
| mentioned in that KBA, licenses could not be re-addded because of a
| security problem. Problem here was that CPL.CFG was not auto-recreated
| by the License Logging Service. We solved that one by applying Eric
| Shen's procedure that he mentions in another Google-thread on this
| subject, see
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=uz02T3hdDHA.2000%
40cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dwindows%2B2003%2Bcpl.cfg%26
hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3Duz02T3hdDHA.2000%2540cpmsftngxa06.phx.
gbl%26rnum%3D1.