Windows Repair/Install Question

Charlie

A couple of years ago I purchased a computer with a OEM version of Windows
XP Professional. I had to replace the motherboard and also took the
opportunity to replace other items as well. As I understand it my OEM copy
of XP Pro is no longer valid and I need to buy another version of XP. My
question is - Can I buy a retail version of XP Pro and do a Repair/Install
to my old OEM version of XP Pro ? Can a OEM version be updated to a retail
version ?

Feng Mao

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for posting in the Windows XP VAP newsgroup.

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: You changed the hardware
configuration of your computer and the previously installed OEM version of
Windows XP Professional was no longer valid. So you wonder if a retail
version of Windows XP Professional can be used to repair the OEM version of
Windows XP Professional. If I have misunderstood your concern, please post
back.

Based on my experience, the retail version of Windows XP Professional can
be used to repair an OEM version of Windows XP Professional installation.
To do this, follow these steps:

1. Inserted the retail version of Windows XP Professional CD into the
CD-ROM.

2. Restart computer from the CD-ROM.

3. Select Repair when prompted.

4. Entered the Product Key of Windows XP Professional retail version
(NOT the Product Key of OEM version of Windows XP Professional) when
prompted.

5. Follow the wizard to finish the installation process.

Since there may be some drivers need to be reinstalled after the repair
installation of retail version of Windows XP Professional, when you
finished the repair installation, please check if there any device runs
abnormal in Device Manager. If so, please install the latest drivers for
those devices again.

If you have any other concerns, or need any further assistance on this
issue, please feel free to post back and I will be happy to help.

Have a nice day!

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE