Windows Picture and Fax Viewer edit button


C

Chris

Hi,
My PC has Windows XP home and is currently up to date
with all updates (including Service Pack 2).

When I double click on a ".jpg" file Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer displays the picture just fine. When I single
click on the "edit" button (at the bottom of the screen
and just left to the "?" help button) it launches the
MSPaint program (and displays the picture). This "edit"
button used to launch Microsoft Photo Editor (which I
greatly prefered).

What steps do I have to do to get this button within
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to launch Microsoft Photo
Editor (as it did before)?

This problem is consistant reguardless of what user is
logged in and reguardless whether the user is "limited"
or "computer administrator".

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John Inzer

Chris said:
Hi,
My PC has Windows XP home and is currently up to date
with all updates (including Service Pack 2).

When I double click on a ".jpg" file Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer displays the picture just fine. When I single
click on the "edit" button (at the bottom of the screen
and just left to the "?" help button) it launches the
MSPaint program (and displays the picture). This "edit"
button used to launch Microsoft Photo Editor (which I
greatly prefered).

What steps do I have to do to get this button within
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to launch Microsoft Photo
Editor (as it did before)?

This problem is consistant reguardless of what user is
logged in and reguardless whether the user is "limited"
or "computer administrator".

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
=====================================

How to open your choice of image editors when
clicking the Edit button on the Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer screen.

IMPORTANT: This message contains information
about modifying the registry. Before you modify the
registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that
you understand how to restore the registry if a problem
occurs. For information about how to back up, restore,
and edit the registry, click the following link to view the
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Information About Editing the Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256986#Topic2

===========================================

OK...go to...Start / Run and type in..."regedit" without
the quotes. Then click...OK...or press...Enter.

In the Registry Editor...drill down to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command

In the Data column you should see:

"%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"

(where you see *mspaint* in the example....you will
see your current default)

Replace the key with the path to the program that will
be your default image editor. I wanted Picture It! 7 so
the following is what I changed to.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Picture It! 7\pip.exe" "%1"

Now, my images still open in the Picture and Fax viewer
but if I left click the Edit button...Picture It! 7 opens.

To replace the string...

Left click "default" to select it.

Go to...Edit / Modify...

In the "Edit String" field...

Copy/Paste the path to your program choice:

"C:\Program Files\??????????\???.exe" "%1"

Left click...OK.

Now, your images still open in the Picture and Fax
Viewer but if you left click the Edit button...your image
editing program opens..

Good luck.

--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP
return e-mail disabled

Picture It! Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/2po2o

Digital Image Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/3xxqg
 
G

Guest

So where is this program located?
I've done a thorough search of the system, and can't find the Microsoft
Photo Editor anywhere.
Can you give me the path to where it's supposed to be?
Thanks.
 
J

John Inzer

Phil said:
So where is this program located?
I've done a thorough search of the system, and can't find
the Microsoft Photo Editor anywhere.
Can you give me the path to where it's supposed to be?
Thanks.
=======================================
If Microsoft Photo Editor is installed on your
system, I would expect it to be found at: Start
button / All Programs / Microsoft Photo Editor

The info I have saved on Microsoft Photo Editor
is as follows:

Microsoft PhotoEditor was part of the Office 97,
Office2000 and Office XP suites. It has been
replaced in Office 2003 by the Microsoft Office
Picture Manager.

Maybe this article will be useful:

(817095) Photo Editor is removed when
you install Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817095

--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP
return e-mail disabled

Picture It! Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/2po2o

Digital Image Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/3xxqg
 
G

Guest

John,
Thanks for the informative reply on the replacement of the Photo Editing
Program when Office 2003 is installed.
But now I can't find that program either, and because "Paint" sucks, I need
to find the Office 2003 Photo Editor, so that I can change the behavior of
the editing button.
Does it have an abbreviated name that would be unrecognizable?
Or is it encoded so that the search engine can't find it by its proper name?
Thanks.
 
G

Gord Dibben

Phil

If you have Office 2003 installed, try right-click on a *.jpg file and "Open
With".

The Microsoft Picture Manager should be an option.

When open, go to Tools>Customize and set the default files.


Gord Dibben Excel MVP
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

Gord,
I appreciate the fact that you are trying to help but your responce has
nothing to do with the problem.
Getting images to open with one program or the other is not what I am
looking for.
Please read the problem next time.
Thanks for trying anyway.
 
G

Gord Dibben

Phil

You're looking to use Photo Editor to edit pictures opened in Windows Pictures
and Fax Viewer.

Photo Editor does not exist with Office 2003 as John told you.

If you have access to an Office XP CD follow the instructions given by the URL
John supplied to install Photo Editor.

Then go through Folder Options>File Types to create an "Edit" mode for WPAFV.

Point it to Photo Editor.

You then get the functionality you want.


Gord
 
J

John Inzer

Phil said:
John,
Thanks for the informative reply on the replacement of
the Photo Editing Program when Office 2003 is installed.
But now I can't find that program either, and because
"Paint" sucks, I need to find the Office 2003 Photo
Editor, so that I can change the behavior of the editing
button.
Does it have an abbreviated name that would be
unrecognizable?
Or is it encoded so that the search engine can't find it
by its proper name? Thanks.
=======================================
FWIW...the new version of Paint is much better...
if you are running .Netframework 1.1 you can
install Paint.net and give it a try.

Paint.NET v2.1
http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

Ok...if you have Office 2003 installed...you can go to...
Start button / All programs / Microsoft Office /
Microsoft Office Tools / Microsoft Office Picture Manager...

The executable for "Microsoft Office Picture Manager"
is: OIS.EXE ...makes perfect sense...huh? Yeah...right!

If you wish to set "Microsoft Office Picture Manager" as
the default program that opens when you click the
"Closes this program and opens the image for editing"
(ctrl / e)...button in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer...
have a look at the following steps...

How to open your choice of image editors when
clicking the Edit button on the Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer screen.

IMPORTANT: This message contains information
about modifying the registry. Before you modify the
registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that
you understand how to restore the registry if a problem
occurs. For information about how to back up, restore,
and edit the registry, click the following link to view the
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Information About Editing the Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256986#Topic2

===========================================

OK...go to...Start / Run and type in..."regedit" without
the quotes. Then click...OK...or press...Enter.

In the Registry Editor...drill down to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command

In the Data column you should see:

"%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"

(where you see *mspaint* in the example....you will
see your current default)

Replace the key with the path to the program that will
be your default image editor. If you wish to set
"Microsoft Office Picture Manager" as your default
image editor...use the following string:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OIS.EXE" "%1"

To replace the string...

Left click "default" to select it.

Go to...Edit / Modify...

In the "Edit String" field...

Copy/Paste the path to your program choice:

"C:\Program Files\??????????\???.exe" "%1"

Left click...OK.

Now, your images still open in the Picture and Fax
Viewer but if you left click the Edit button...your images
should open in "Microsoft Office Picture Manager"..

Good luck.

--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP
return e-mail disabled

Picture It! Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/2po2o

Digital Image Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/3xxqg
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

John,
I am running Office XP, so where do I look for the Image Editor? There isn't
any Office11 in this program, and Office10 doesn't have anything by that name
either.
Thanks.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top