Windows Movie Maker / DVD writer (?) crashes when saving DVD (Vist

V

Vassily

I have Windows Vista Home Premium with Movie Maker 6.0. When I try to write a
project made in Movie Maker to DVD, it constantly crashes at about 71%, with
an undefined error.

Is there anything that can be done about it?

Reaction score
Vassily said:
I have Windows Vista Home Premium with Movie Maker 6.0. When I try to write a
project made in Movie Maker to DVD, it constantly crashes at about 71%, with
an undefined error.

Is there anything that can be done about it?

I have the same OS and only got to about 20% encoding and it wouldn't go any further. I had transferred VHS tapes to 4 DVDs and brought the DVD media from each disc into Movie Maker to edit into one movie (file extension on media type is .VTO)

The movie I created from these 4 DVDs was 1 hour 39 minutes and first thought it had something to do with the length of the movie - it DOESN'T make a difference. The length/file size doesn't seem to matter - it's a codec compatibility issue

WHAT WORKED FOR ME:
In Movie Maker select Tools and Options - Compatibility - REMOVE/DISABLE EVERY CODEC from the list EXCEPT WINDOWS AVI. Exit Movie Maker; go back in and open your project then select Publish Movie to DVD

Once I disabled the other codecs, and selected the publish to DVD, Windows DVD Maker opened and I was able to burn the 1 1/2 hour movie. Some of my family members are asking me which "movie company" I brought my VHS tapes to - the DVD maker menu makes it look like a professional job!

P.S. It didn't help that the first 5 attempts encoding the DVD were done on my laptop instead of the other CPU tower - but after fixing the codec compatibility the laptop did encode and burn the DVD - I've done one on the tower as well - it just took half as much time to encode and burn as on the laptop!

Ask a Question