Windows Media Center Receiver Service has stopped working

I'm wondering if one of the Microsoft guys or some who has resolved the same
problem can help me out.

I'm getting that great message that "Windows Media Center Receiver Service
has stopped working".

Some back ground.

I've just formatted my whole machine with a clean install of Vista Ultimate.
All Microsoft updates are complete including hotfix 933049.
Microsoft Office Professional 2007 has been installed and updated.
Trial Version of Sony Vegas 7.0e has been installed.
Vista Codec pack 4.4.9 has been installed.
Lastest Beta Driver for my geforce 7950GT have been installed (163.??)

I've also set restore points around all of those events.

My Machine Quad Core E6600 2GB ram, 2x500 HD's Raid for 0(Stripping). 7950GT
Geforce Card.

When I check the event logs it seeems to log ehRecvr.exe Event ID 1000 as a
problem.

What more information will you need from me to trouble shot this issue?
Thanks for your help

Cal Bear '66

Vista Codec Pack is the most likely culprit.

Even uninstalling it might not resolve the problem -- you will HAVE to do a
System Restore to a point before you installed the codec pack.

Codec Packs are pure EVIL --avoid them at all costs

Download a free program called GSpot to analyze any video you have problems with
and download the needed codec ONLY from the manufacturer of the codec.

I had the same problem (not caused by codec pack) but only a system restore
would solve the problem.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Will C - Winnipeg MB Canada" <Will C - Winnipeg MB
news:[email protected]...

Thanks for the response. I'll do a system restore tonight and let you know
how it goes tomorrow. Thanks

Cal Bear '66

Good luck.

You might want to just uninstall the codec pack first to see if it will resolve
the problem before you do a System Restore.

Ok uninstalling the Vista Codec pack 4.4.9 worked fine. However when
stopping a Movie that is playing ( in this case Video from my HD Camera) in
Media center I get the receiver error again.

So I am now in the process of running a system restore. Which brings me to
my next question. How long should it take for a system restore to run? Once
I finally found the right settings in Norton to turn off (because everytime I
restored it failed) it seems to be work.... however working A LOT. as of
this post it has been running for 45 minutes and still going (I'm on my
wife's computer). Is this normal?

I'll update this when it is done. But I have a funny feeling I'll still
have the Receiver problem. If I still have the problem what information will
you need me to post to help solve this problem? Event Log information?
Anything else?

Thank You!

PS To anyone reading this for support, there are options if you have Norton
Antivirus that need to be turned off for a restore to work properly. In the
Configure of Auto-Protect > Misc > Turn off > Protect Symantec Products(or
something like that)

My system restores never finished. I stopped the one I was running because
it looked locked up. I restarted in safe mode, and left the restore over
night. It never finished.
Here is the dump from the last error I got.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ehRecvr.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b54f
Fault Module Name: StackHash_526e
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000096
Exception Offset: 01502a3b
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: 526e
Additional Information 2: 68692b460e306383e1f28b5a98ab8ef1
Additional Information 3: 90c7
Additional Information 4: 3decd2d4e3d628fda1257be137f859e8

Files that help describe the problem
Version.txt
AppCompat.txt
memory.hdmp
minidump.mdmp

Thanks

OK. It seems microsoft listens!!!

There has been a KB936229 article that seems to address this issue. I've
submitted an online request and I will let you know what the results are!!

David H. Lipman

From: "concentric" <[email protected]>

| kenmeller wrote on 06-09-08

Replying to a 18+ month old thread ?
Do 'ya really think the OP is waiting that long !

Drop the POS C R A P techarena.in and access the Microsoft News Group directly via the
following news URL...

The site techarena.in is nothing but a lowlife leech of Usenet content making believe it
provided forums when it acyually is leeching off of Usenet via the vBulletin USENET
gateway.

David H. Lipman

From: "concentric" <[email protected]>

| "Replying to a 18+ month old thread ?
| Do 'ya really think the OP is waiting that long !"

| I do not think so, whatever OP is.
| It was my way of trying to summarize work that has succeeded (sp?) before without
| summarizing it.

| I clicked on
| "
| My ZoneAlarm said:
| "Outlook Express is trying to access the trusted zone.
| Allow.
| Deny."
| I am access-shy due to my recent malware episode.
| This is OK?

| I don't us Outlook Express regularly, or at all.

| Outlook Express Window:
| “Would you like to subscribe to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general?” --

Good you are learning. Outlook Express is your default News Client and via NNTP TCP port
119 it will communicate to the Microsoft News Server directly; MSNews.Microsoft.Com where
you will hav direct access to the whole Microsoft hierarchy. When you have learned about
that you can learn about the 10's of thousands of public Usenet groups and the many
private NNTP servers that give you the wealth of information at your fingertips.
Bypassing leeches such as techarena.in which fake the fact they don't have their own
forums but use a Usenet gateway and leech of Usenet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet