Windows XP Windows ME and windows update

Reaction score
I am having a real problem getting windows update to update. Bascially it will find the updates, I can review the updates, but when the dialog box appears now download starts and doesnt, no matter how long I leave it.

I have tried the support sites but the forums just baffled me and provided no response to my request for help that didnt patronise or that werent just plain rude. Can anyone help me fix this problem without expecting me to know loads about computer speak?

Please try! I'm not a total muppet...I just don't understand computer jargon all that well. :)

I know there are 38 updates for one thing and 15 for another. One of these is a critical update service pack.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi moriarty, please don't double post, as it just confuses things for all of us :)

Do you have automatic updates enabled on your PC? Check by going to the control panel, then security center (if you have SP2) and see if its enabled. It may be easiest to download them this way if you PC isn't doing as it should.

Has your computer downloaded any at any point before?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah sorry, didn't see the Windows ME part - ignore what I said :blush:

Reaction score
ok ok, I get the double posting thing already! :D

Yes, I have Windows Me, and the last time it downloaded was 2003 it appears. I havent really used the computer much since then as I had another one for work.

I have tried the auto updates thing and it has always been enabled. I have no idea why it wont work, but I hoped that there would be a way to add something to get it working again. Help me!! lol

Microsoft's furms were rubbish. I hope this one is better.

Reaction score
ER...nope. Itr says I need a new version of IE for that. Is that bad? Have tried the support pages etc but nothing helps me. Or maybe I just dont understand what I am supposed to be looking for.

Reaction score
Am doing now....then what...as I said I have 38 other updates and 15 other critical ones. Will that let me do those ones thru windows update?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have no idea ... but If you need IE6 to access the first link I gave you then I would install IE6 ... then go back to my first link.

muckshifter

Reaction score
moriarty said:
Still wont download...looks like i might to do each one...one at a time.
Yes ... do that and see how you get on. :thumb:

Reaction score
won't let me download seperately I dont think, keeps sending me to windows update. This is no good as my problem is that windows update still doesnt work.

IE 6 has allowed Zone Alarm to update though. ANy other ideas out there as to how to kickstart windows update?

Reaction score
It appears that one of the downloads I am missing is this file (see below)

Windows Automatic Updating (Windows Me)
Download size: 164 KB
The Windows automatic updating feature notifies you when critical updates are available for your computer. This update replaces the previous version of Automatic Update that is installed on your computer. To receive further automatic notification about critical updates you must install this update. Within 24 hours of installing this update, the Automatic Update setup wizard appears, to guide you through configuring your operating system so you will be notified when critical updates are available for your computer. Read more...

I am looking now on the download site for it but no luck so far....any ideas on this new twist to the plot?

Reaction score
it also displays this message when i try to install some of the updates that windows update recommends:

'(the updated)...is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:NtShutdownSystem'

It also says:

'A device attached to the system is not functioning.'

It won't let me install the auto updates file I found from 2002, as I don't have service pack 2 for windows 2000. I tried to install it like it said but that message appeared.

This is driving me batty.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry moriarty, you got me stumped ... I can only suggest a "dirty install" that is to say re-install ME over itself ... you will not loose data and some programs may not work but they can be re-installed later.

search Google for "ME dirty install"

Ask a Question