Windows Mail Stoped Sending out emails?

David Morel

I have been using Windows mail fine for months, but starting yesterday it is
not letting any outgoing message go out. I at first thought it was just a
Comcast issue, but the other account i have with a totally seperate provider
is not sending either. Here are the error messages:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Re: [brentwoodcamera]
Warner Park Hike...', Account: 'mail.comast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number:
0x800CCC0E

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Re: Your new mailing
address', Account: 'mail.digitalstars.net', Server: 'mail.digitalstars.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number:
0x800CCC0E

David Morel

FYI...I use AVG Free Anti-virus. I changed it to not scan outgoing emails
and it still fails...

David Morel said:
[...]

Comcast has started requiring users to change their port numbers, but has
been rather poor at telling their users about this in advance.

<http://help.comcast.net/content/faq...l-for-Vista-to-use-port-587-for-sending-email>

Connections that use port 25, and cross over from one internet provider's
equipment to another's before they reach the server, are often blocked
to cause problems for spammers. Ask digitalstars.net if their outgoing
mail server allows you to use some other port for outgoing mail, and if so,
where to find their instructions for switching over to the other port. Just
trying all the ports is a very slow way to find out, since there are about
65,000 ports available and it's unlikely that more than a few of them
will accept outgoing mail.

Gary VanderMolen

Comcast is keeping this port change (587 vice 25) a deep secret, and is
failing to inform its customers.
Was your other account issue resolved?

Gene K

Gary,
I have seen several versions of this problem throughout this and other
Newsgroups. They state that they are using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) and
Port 25. Am I correct in stating that Port 25 is utilized for regular
E-Mail and WILL NOT function for SSL.
Gene K
Comcast is keeping this port change (587 vice 25) a deep secret, and is
failing to inform its customers.
Was your other account issue resolved?

Gary VanderMolen

As a general rule, SSL is not used with port 25, but I have seen a
few exceptions.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

David Morel said:
[...]

Comcast has started requiring users to change their outgoing port numbers,
but has been rather poor at telling their users in advance.

<http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=EmailOutlook18914&cookieattempt=1>