Windows Mail, SSL and AT&T

DonATX

I have tried to address this through AT&T tech support and get nowhere - I
have verified all email account settings - server names, ssl enabled and
correct ports - I have disabled all AV and Firewall software, disabled the
firewall in my modem/router and still get the following error:
"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
inactivity. Account: 'Don Fite', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3,
Port: 995, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0FYour
server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this
include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.
Account: 'Don Fite', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"
I CAN connect with all security software enabled (send/receive) using the
exact same settings in my trial version of Outlook 2007 so I know the
problem is not on the AT&T/Yahoo side - everything points to a problem with
Windows Mail. Is there a fix I just can't find somewhere, or a work around?

Gary VanderMolen

Your text says "ssl enabled", yet the error message says the opposite.
You MUST enable the SSL option for those mail servers (both incoming
and outgoing). You can do so by going to Tools, Accounts, select that account,
Properties, Advanced.

DonATX

I apologize - in my troubleshooting I had attempted to access the servers
without ssl enabled, when I enable SSL I get the following error:
"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
inactivity. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com',
Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F" - SSL
enables settings do work with a TRIAL version of Outlook 2007 - so apparently
the problem lies with Windows Mail.

Gary VanderMolen

"Unexpected" termination is almost always caused by interference from
a non-compatible antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
http://download.live.com/wlmail

I think I've seen a message from AT&T saying that if you switch from
the bellsouth.net server to the AT&T webmail server, this change is
irreversible.

Robert Miles

Gary VanderMolen

Thanks for that report. I wasn't aware that the Bellsouth
users were being migrated to the AT&T/Yahoo mail servers.

DonATX

Running Windows One Care, have attempted to use windows mail with anti-virus
and firewall disavbled, and have also tried in Safe Mode with networking -
still getting the same error

Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am running Vista and Windows Mail. I have the same problem as DonATX. I get the same error message too.

I had my SMTP port set to 465 and POP3 port set to 995 and I had both SSL boxes checked. Until yesterday, these settings worked for me for over a year. Then yesterday, I could not send email and I would onlt receive email 1 out of 10 tries of clicking the Send/Receive button.

My kids computer is running XP and they can send email with the above setting.

I called AT&T tech support and spent close to an hour on the phone. The tech support guy was able to see my screen and operate my computer after I ran an application for remote access found on the AT&T Yahoo web page. He played around with the settings and could not get it to work. Until, he unmarked the check boxes for SSL. When he did that, Windows Mail woudl change the port POP3 to 110 and SMTP to 25. When he clicked on Send/Receive, the email in my outbox was sent and I was receiving email again.

By the way, during this whole time, I had my antivirus software, Avira, turned off.

These settings are not secure and I got an automaticlly generate email from AT&T Yahoo staing that I am not using the secure port and SSL settings.

Bottom line: I can get and send email when I use the default port settings with SSL not checked. I cannot send email with the AT&T secure settings. My kids XP computer can send and receive email with the AT&T secure settings.

This all started happening to me just yesterday. Did Microsoft send out an update to Windows Mail that has a bug in it?

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> "Unexpected" termination is almost always caused by interference from
> a non-compatible antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
>
> Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
> explained here:
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm
>
> If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
> to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
> from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "DonATX" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >I apologize - in my troubleshooting I had attempted to access the servers
> > without ssl enabled, when I enable SSL I get the following error:
> > "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
> > this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> > inactivity. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com',
> > Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F" - SSL
> > enables settings do work with a TRIAL version of Outlook 2007 - so apparently
> > the problem lies with Windows Mail.
> >
> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> Your text says "ssl enabled", yet the error message says the opposite.
> >> You MUST enable the SSL option for those mail servers (both incoming
> >> and outgoing). You can do so by going to Tools, Accounts, select that account,
> >> Properties, Advanced.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Is anybody using 64-bit Windows Vista

I have recently got a new computer that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition. Before now, I never had trouble with Windows Mail using the AT&T SSL settings. Now that I am using this new computer and was trying to set up my Pop3 settings for Windows Mail I have been getting the following Error:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I remember when looking up the correct ATT settings for Windows Mail I recall only seeing information for Windows Vista 32-bit settings, nothing about 64-bit settings. So I tried like someone suggested to turn of the SSL settings on Windows Mail and it actually works. My suspicion is that it is something to do with the 64-bit Vista. I have found that a lot of software venders are still not compatible with 64-bit operating systems.

Anyways let me know if any one of you are using the Windows Mail on a 64-bit operating system.