Windows Mail Logon

Mr. Bill

I started the day by opening my windows mail account using windows vista and
i got a wndows security window that says logon to your email account. After
three years, it has never done this.

I think my email server is att.yahoo.com

When I enter the information it asks for, it just keeps coming back asking
for the same info. So, no email for us.

What's up with this? No new software, all apdates are updated and the pc
was never turned off. I use McAfee virus protection and as far as is know i
am doing averything they way i should.

Any help out there would (of course) be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mr. Bill

Warspite_14

This is exactly the problem that I have started getting with Mail today. When
logging in or using send/receive I get a Windows security box requesting UN
and PW as verification for the mail server (which in my case is with Sky).

Entering the detail is of no use and cancelling simply results in the
failure to login leading to the following error message;

Account: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Protocol: POP3,
Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port:
995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Oddly, if I go into the Sky homepage to access my emails they are all there,
so its seems to be a problem between the Sky server and my email client.

I've tried the advice below to no avail, I'm also running McAfee security
software, yet turning off email scanning in McAfee has not made any
difference to this problem.

Ideas?

mac said:
Mr. Bill said:
I started the day by opening my windows mail account using windows vista
and
i got a wndows security window that says logon to your email account.
After
three years, it has never done this.

I think my email server is att.yahoo.com

When I enter the information it asks for, it just keeps coming back asking
for the same info. So, no email for us.

What's up with this? No new software, all apdates are updated and the pc
was never turned off. I use McAfee virus protection and as far as is know
am doing averything they way i should.

Any help out there would (of course) be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mr. Bill

Hello Mr Bill, never enter the detail to the pop-up box, it will not be
retained.

First go to the Tools menu>Accounts>select your account>Properties
button>Server tab.
Enter your correct PW & UN there.
Try to send & receive, if it fails and the box pops up again, click Cancel,
this will generate an error report.
Right click on the error and choose Copy, open a reply to this thread and
Paste the unedited error message back here please.

McAfee could be causing this problem to start, with an update to its mail
scanning section? You need to disable mail scanning by all 3rd party
applications, you will still be protected.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

.

Gary VanderMolen

McAfee antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail.
Sometimes it takes a while before symptoms start showing up.
First of all, turn off email scanning in McAfee, although that is seldom sufficient.
Next, delete that email account (because it has been corrupted by McAfee),
restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

If the problem continues, the only way you can prove or disprove that McAfee
is the culprit is to uninstall it, followed by using their debris removal tool:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
If you decide to replace McAfee, we can recommend a free antivirus
program which is more compatible with Windows Mail:

Instead of switching to a different antivirus, another option is to upgrade
to Windows Live Mail (WLM), which is more resistant to the adverse effects
of overly intrusive antivirus products: http://download.live.com/wlmail

Even with WLM, you must disable email scanning in the antivirus,
for the reason explained here:

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)