Windows Firewall Settings

Reaction score
Unable to find a correct thread regarding the title. Perhaps someone can indicate a location dealing with such matters.
In the m/time I am pasting two messages which indicates my exact problem. Can anyone help with solving my problem.
Hopefully the files have been included. This is my first time in posting a thread and not quite sure if it has been done correctly. No doubt if my files have not been included someone withn notify me

TKS
GURU

Attachments

• ScreenShot023.jpg
    ScreenShot023.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 172
  • ScreenShot024.jpg
    ScreenShot024.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 163
Reaction score
Hi

Your response appreciated. It would appear as though my attachments were rcvd.
First of all let me say that my PC knowledge is somewhat limited but no doubt I will be guided along the way.

Can you please indicate exactly what particular info you require about my PC?
Will be only too glad to oblige.

The 2nd site which you quoted is somewhat mind boggling to a novice like myself.

Anyway awaiting yr response as to what info I can forward regarding my PC before proceeding any further

Tks
Guru

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I need to know what Anti-Virus program you are using & if you are using another Firewall apart from Windows' own ... :thumb:

Do you have more than one PC connected together ?

Viruses, I bundle Viruses, Trojans, Worms & Spyware under the term of a "nastie" and some of these nasties can turn off certain security measures. If your AV program has caught one and "fixed" it, it can cause the "problem" you are seeing.

A simple solution is to "fix" the "broken" winsock ... the second link I posted will do that.

However, if you do not have another PC connected to this one then simply go to your control panel, double-click the "Add/Remove Programs" icon. Select the "Windows Setup" tab. Double click "Internet Options", and un-select the Internet Connection Sharing box. Click OK and OK again, Reboot the PC.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Windows Firewall

HI

The below mentioned is my Anti-Virus program
ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.337.000
TrueVector version:7.0.337.000
Driver version:7.0.337.000
Anti-virus engine version:3
Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200704.1305
AntiSpam version:4.9.1.8211
unquote

To the best of knowledge this product has it's own firewall. The fact that I am unable to get to the Windows Firewall through control panel I am not really able to say if Windows Firewall is activated or not but to the best of my knowledge the fact that Zone Alarm has it's own firewall I doubt if the Windows Firewall is active. Somewhere along the line I have seen that it is not wise to have two firewalls active.

I only have one PC running.

Regarding Winsock I am of the opinion that because only one PC is running it is not necessary to do the fix which you mentioned.

As far as Add/Remove Programs is concrned I must be blind because within this list I do not see anything referring to ''WIndows Setup'' tab. Because of this I am unable to carry out what was requested.

Your advice on last para appreciated.

muckshifter

Reaction score
oops, sorry, running Vista here, should have taken time to use my XP box and get you the right destructions ... my memory is failing. :blush:

click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections
Right click on the connection's icon and select Properties
Select the Advanced tab.
If there is a checked box for Internet Connection Sharing, uncheck it.
Click OK.

http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/network/ics-disable.html#winxp

Now, as you are actually using ZA, and I have no experience with ZA, apart from a "testing" phase with it, you may need to direct your questions on the ZA forums. I have never been able to get on with ZA, not my personal cup of tea.

All I'm trying to do is disable ICS, you don't need it and should actually be off anyway.

A "nastie" can infect your PC, and when cleaned, mess up the winsock ... the winsock "fix" merely restores to the defaults. I'm just trying to cover that possibility also. No need to fix something that ain't broke. ;)

Reaction score
Firewall Settings

Hi

Carrying out yr last instructions brings the following result. I don't know why but as stated in instructions, there were certain things which were different on my PC.
E.G. Instead of Network and Internet Connections, there is only Network Connections. I then click on the icon - select properties - select advanced. There is no checked box for Internet Connection Sharing. I then click OK with the following result which is attached.

I wrote to Zone Alarm asking for help but no response as yet. It is becoming somewhat frustrating and frankly speaking I am seriously thinking of doing a clean reinstall of Windows. Hopefully by doing so all my problems which currently are more than this current dilemna will be taken of even though the thought of doing so is somewhat daunting for me. I am sure will find somewhere, precise instructions for so doing.
Incidentally as stated in the attachment it was suggested doing a restore which I did but without any change.

Attachments

• ScreenShot027.jpg
    ScreenShot027.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 156

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm slanting to the fact this is a ZA induced problem ... I do not like ZA, but that is my personal opinion.

I take as read you are using XP with SP2 and all other updates to date.

Please try this ...

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK
At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER
netsh Winsock reset
When the program is finished, you should see the following message:

Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog

You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset.
Test ZA is working.

I'm fast running out of ideas here.

user.gif

Reaction score
Hi Muckshifter

Attachment confirms that your last request carried out successfully but unfortumately situation remains the same. I have come to the conclusion that at some stage in the past, I must have done something unknown that upset the applecart. If that is the case I am very much inclined to do a clean install in effort to put things right again. (Hopefully)

Unless I hear from you within the next day or two I will proceed to carry out a clean install. I will have to go through the backup procedure as stated by
Abarbarian.

Attachments

• ScreenShot029.jpg
    ScreenShot029.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 165

muckshifter

Reaction score
OK, drastic measures here now ...

I'm gonna get your to turn off MS's firewall altogether.

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type "regedit" (without the quotes) and click OK.
4. In the Registry Editor, click File then Export.
5. Make sure that "All Keys" are selected for export, give the file a name, and click Save.
Make sure you note where the file is being saved to. :thumb:

Now, try this ...

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type "cmd" (without the quotes) in the box and click OK.
4. At the prompt, type the following ...
(pressing Enter after each line)
... watch out for the spaces, there is one between the v & dependonservice, this Forum software ain't too good formating code ... ;)

REG DELETE HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess /v DependOnService

REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess /v DependOnService /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "Netman"

5. Reboot.

If this doesn't work, locate the registry backup you made earlier, double-click on it, and merge it back into your current registry. This will return your system to its original (knacked) state.

All that will do is turn off the MS firewall, but, make sure ZA is still working, a firewall even ZA is needed in this day.

Just a thought here ... you didn't install Microsoft Anti-virus at anytime, did you ?

oh, and that's me out of ideas.

user.gif

Reaction score
Hi Muckshifter

Using drastic measures unfortunately did not help in resolving problems. As suggested earlier, will perhaps resort to complete reinstallation of Windows.
Because of other commitments, will be starting to do that effective Tuesday.
Hopefully all goes well without any problems. Upon completion will inform you of the outcome which with any luck resolve my current problems. In the m/time will check to see if you have any further suggestions

Tks for your help

Guru

Reaction score
Hi Muckshifter

Apologies for late response. Tks for all yr efforts. Problem now resolved. Renewed Windows Installation unwillingly

Ask a Question