Guidance needed with PC security

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie when it comes to forums, (I hope that excuses any faux pas concerning starting a new thread). I'm also new to planned strategy in PC security. I've always hidden (whistling in the dark) under the secure blanket of Norton something or other, ever since the days when Peter Norton's face smiled reassuringly out of their adverts. But I've been bitten a few times and I've also crossed the threshold into retirement so cost is a keener issue. Now I'm looking at the world beyond Norton, particularly the freeware. Enquiries so far, suggest Zone Alarm for firewall, Avast for antivirus, 0spam for spam filter and Ad-aware for antispyware (no doubt that list will attract healthy debate) but I have already fallen at the first fence. My search for a freeware download of Zone Alarm indicates that freeware downloads are outdated versions, supplied by various vendors, not by Zone Alarm themselves. If this is true, can these versions be registered with Zone Alarm and thus updated for evermore?

Hopefully,

Brian]B

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Avast is a very good free anti-virus and it is always kept up to date, runs in the background with no fuss you will hardly know it is there.
Windows Defender is always worth running as it is free and easy to use.
SpyBot Search and Destroy is another freebie worth having.
Comodo Firewall works ok too.

Kaspersky 2009 can be had for very little money, look for the three user version at Aria.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question