Windows Fax and Picture Viewer

Astra

For a few days, I have observed that I am unable to use the built in
'Windows Fax and Picture Viewer' utility to open my pics. Not only
that, but I cannot see thumbnails, cannot preview the pics & am forced
to use Photo Editor & browsers to see them. I keep on double clicking
the pictures but nothing happens at all.

How do I fix this 'Windows Fax & Picture Viewer' thing? Please help me
on this.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Type in Start, Run:

regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

For a few days, I have observed that I am unable to use the built in
'Windows Fax and Picture Viewer' utility to open my pics. Not only
that, but I cannot see thumbnails, cannot preview the pics & am forced
to use Photo Editor & browsers to see them. I keep on double clicking
the pictures but nothing happens at all.

How do I fix this 'Windows Fax & Picture Viewer' thing? Please help me
on this.

dev

/Astra/ said:
For a few days, I have observed that I am unable to use the built in
'Windows Fax and Picture Viewer' utility to open my pics. Not only
that, but I cannot see thumbnails, cannot preview the pics & am forced
to use Photo Editor & browsers to see them. I keep on double clicking
the pictures but nothing happens at all.

How do I fix this 'Windows Fax & Picture Viewer' thing? Please help me
on this.

Click START|RUN and type this into the box. Press OK, and see what happens...

regsvr32 /shimgvw.dll

Astra

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

Tried all but nothing happens..Any more tips please?

Rishi

Hello,

To open picture files using Windows Fax and Picture Viewer try this- Right
click on a picture file > Choose 'Open With' > Click on 'Choose Program...'
Select 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' > put a check mark beside 'Always
use the selected program to open this kind of file > Click 'ok'. Now it
should open that kind of picture files with Windows Picture and Fax viewer,
you might have to repeat this for different kinds of files.

For thumbnails please follow the advice listed by others above. Registering
shimgvw.dll should fix the problem. If not try Start > Run > type in
'regsvr32 -u %windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll' (without the quotes of course)
then type in regsvr32 %windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll to re-register it.

And make sure to click on 'View' > 'Thumbnails' in the menubar of the
explorer window to see thumbnails of the image.

Im also having problems viewing my pictures in the Windows Fax & Picture
Viewer.
I have followed your below advise but still can't view my pictures, any
further advice?

Im pretty sure that when i save pictures in "My Pictures" that they are not
being saved in the correct format & that is why i can't view them, what do
you think?

Thanks,

Chris.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Chris,

It's better to start a new thread, as this is entirely a different issue.
That way your question gets more exposure.

http://beyondteck.blogspot.com

"Astra" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

For a few days, I have observed that I am unable to use the built in
'Windows Fax and Picture Viewer' utility to open my pics. Not only
that, but I cannot see thumbnails, cannot preview the pics & am
forced
to use Photo Editor & browsers to see them. I keep on double clicking
the pictures but nothing happens at all.

How do I fix this 'Windows Fax & Picture Viewer' thing? Please help
me
on this.

I have tried this too, but to no effect. What's exactly is wrong?

Rishi

Hello,

Well what's happening is that the dll is not being registered or some other
application on your system is causing this to happen. Those are the only
possibilities that I can think up of right now. Perhaps when installing
applications such as Photoshop (for example), you enabled it as the default
applications to handle such things. Because if you type in 'regsvr32 /i
shimgvw.dll' in the run menu (try it if you haven't done it already) usually
it should re-register the dll and make it available, however if it doesn't
then there might be some third party application messing around with this.

Astra

Rishi Wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply Rishi.

I did what you told me, but it showed this message -

Rishi

Hello,

Please search and see if you can find the shimgvw.dll in your computer, it
should be there in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. If not you can either download it
from the internet (perhaps
http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files.php/dllfiles/S/shimgvw.dll/download.html)
or get the file from your XP CD. I recommend getting it from your CD because
although the file from the website looks really legit, its not worth taking
the risk of trusting it if you already have the cd. Then just place it into
the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory.

Then try to register the dll again it should fix the problem.