Windows XP windows explorer not opening

Reaction score
I'm having Windows XP sp3 version.
I have 2 administrative accounts and one guest account.
Whenever I open any of my admin account, it shows the wallpaper that was set and nothing else ie. no desktop, no startmenu etc. Task manager has also been disabled. It so happened after I installed RTT.exe which rectifies the task manager problem. Guest account has the same problem except the fact that task manager can be opened, in which even though processes windows shows explorer.exe, application window is empty. I can open cmd.exe from guest account but can't get it or any other application to run as administrator.

List of processes in task manager window of guest account with no user name and 0 cpu usage.
svchost.exe
taskmgr.exe
explorer.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
system
System Idle process with user name system an cpu usage 99%.
I tried formatting but it behaves as if it does not recognise bootable XP cds. Haven't tried any other OS yet.
Is there anyone who has any info or answer to the problem?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Have you tried Acronis or Partition Magic or Ultimate Boot CD to wipe and reformat the drive before trying a fresh install of XP ?

happywave.gif

Ask a Question