"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem ..." !!!

I'm running Windows XP Professional and I have somehow picked up a Virus or
something that defies all Spyware and Anti-virus programmes. The effect is
that when I open Windows Explorer and move the mouse over either of 2 folders
in that directory, I get the message "Windows Explorer has encountered a
problem ..." followed by Explorer closing itself down.

I have tried everything possible to delete those folders and their contents

1. Using RMDIR /S from the command prompt (this just causes the Command
prompt window to close)

2. From the Recovery Console (access to the folders is denied)

3. Using programmes like MoveOnBoot (the programme closes itself when I
try to enter the file to be deleted)

4. Closing my user account from another user account and instructing it to
delete my folders (closes down without deleting).

Short of reformatting the disk, is there anything else I can try?

I have the same problem, and I have Norton Anitvirus 2005, but it doesn't
seem do even detect a virus !
Sorry, I can'y help you, I hace Norton Ghost, so I'm just going to put the
coputer back to it's original self ( in other words, reinstalling ! )

Neal Ferrier

Have you tried moving the folders to a different drive then deleting them?
or just even a different directory like the desktop or something. Might work
but its a longshot.
"neil (at) caryfamily.co.uk" <neil (at)
news:[email protected]...