Windows Explorer Closes

LouiseB

Can anyone please help me with Windows (not internet) Explorer? Everytime I
view my video folder explorer encounters a problem and closes. It's the same
whatever way I try to do it, through my documents, my computer etc. All
other folders such as photo's and documents are fine, it's just the video
folder. I've tried deleting it and making a new one but still the same.
I've run a repair installation of XP, no change.

I've tried the following solution:

1. Open command-console (START > RUN > CMD.EXE)
2. enter the command: regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
3. enter the command: regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

The reason for the crash is a problem with media previews in explorer
(explorer calculates a thumbnail view of an image or the first frame of a
video file). By disabling this feature (which is useless anyway) explorer
stops crashing.

I don't want to use this method because it also removes my photo thumbnails
and I don't want to have to go through them all individually to find the one
I want.

If anyone can help with this I will be eternally grateful, it's driving me
nuts!!

Many thanks

Gerry

Louise

Be warned there is controversy over whether pcbutts1 is an MS MVP. Other
MS MVPs think he is not.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

How about sticking to the subject and offer some advice as to fixing his
computer instead of continuing your so called controversy. It's been going
on for years you jumping in is not going to change a thing.

Ken Blake, MVP

Louise

Be warned there is controversy over whether pcbutts1 is an MS MVP. Other
MS MVPs think he is not.

Very little controversy. Apparently *nobody* believes his claims
except one person, calling himself "Tomaso," who is probably just
pcbutts1 himself, posting under a different name.

He has been challenged many times to back up his claims to being an
MVP. It would be easy to prove if he were a Microsoft MVP. Since he
ignores the challenges, and offers nothing to substantiate his claims,
it should be very clear to everyone that the claims are entirely
false.

Bill in Co.

There is no controversy. He's just a troll.