windows error auto shutting down

Krystal

My friend's computer keeps shutting down automatically
after being on for 5 minutes or less. She can't stay
online long enough to type this, so I'm doing it for her.
She's running Win XP. She gets a pop up error that says
Windows is shutting down because of
NT/Authority/System...Shutting down because "remote
procedure call terminated unexpectedly." and gives a
countdown of 59 seconds, then shuts down & reboots. Any
ideas what this error is and how to fix it? She only has
a few minutes to fix it!

Kelly

Hi Krystal,

To stop the reboots: Go to Start/Run and type in: services.msc. Scroll down
to Remote Procedure Call (RPC)/Recovery/First Failure/Restart the Service.

Close Windows Explorer, run the edit on line 257 which includes the prompt
for the patch once your system has been cleaned. This script removes all
variants of the W32.Blaster.Worm (original, b and c).
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm. Direct download:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/msblast.vbs

/xp_tweaks.htm

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

John

Its the MSBLASTER worm. See post by Paul Anderson August
11 under "Performance and Maintenance" Community
Newsgroup. Tells how to disable the shutdown and then
begin the fix. Need to down load Windows patch and run
virus scan. Paul directs you to a free online scan to
wipe out the worm. MS Windows security and update has
tons of info on this. Good luck!