HELP-Windows Shuts down!

Rob Rupp

Can anyone help me? Two minutes after I get online I get a
pop-up error message that states I need to save my work
because it's going to shut down and restart after 60
seconds and then the clock begans. Then it says "This
shut down was intiated by NT Authority/System. The system
process C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\lsass.exe terminated
unexpectedly with status code -1073741819" What does all
of this mean and how do I fix it? What would cause this? I
can't stay online long enough to get ahold of any help.
Any help sure would be appreciated. Thanks, Rob

Yves Leclerc

You are not running an anti-virus system nor a firewall. You "seemed" have
have been hit by a worm virus (usually MSBlaster.)

Activate XP's firewall system (better than nothing, for now) and install an
up to date anti-virus system.
Keep XP up to date woith Windows Update web site and always get the updates
for your selected anti-virus system.

Y.

Taffyj

Rob Rupp said:
Can anyone help me? Two minutes after I get online I get a
pop-up error message that states I need to save my work
because it's going to shut down and restart after 60
seconds and then the clock begans. Then it says "This
shut down was intiated by NT Authority/System. The system
process C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\lsass.exe terminated
unexpectedly with status code -1073741819" What does all
of this mean and how do I fix it? What would cause this? I
can't stay online long enough to get ahold of any help.
Any help sure would be appreciated. Thanks, Rob

Looks like you may have the sasser worm. Try downloading this and running
it, also make sure your Windows patches are up to date.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

----- Rob Rupp wrote: ----

Can anyone help me? Two minutes after I get online I get a
pop-up error message that states I need to save my work
because it's going to shut down and restart after 60
seconds and then the clock begans. Then it says "This
shut down was intiated by NT Authority/System. The system
process C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\lsass.exe terminated
unexpectedly with status code -1073741819" What does all
of this mean and how do I fix it? What would cause this? I
can't stay online long enough to get ahold of any help.
Any help sure would be appreciated. Thanks, Ro

Sorry, in such a case it's essential to format

Courtesy of spanish MVPs

From: "JM Tella Llop [MVP Windows]" <[email protected]
Subject: Re: Pregunta tonta acerca de LS
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 20:37:18 +020
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.es.windowsx

se aconseja formatear y tomar las precauciones dadas aquí
it is advised to format and to take the precautions given her
http://www.vsantivirus.com/02-05-04.ht

From: "Enrique [MVP Windows]" <[email protected]
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 20:38:22 +020
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.es.windowsx

Pues ahora se trata del virus/troyano W32/Sasser. Mismo método que el Blaster: formatear
Is the virus/troyano W32/Sasser. Same method that the Blaster: to format.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

You've apparently contracted the latest worm, W32.Sasser.Worm,
specifically designed to attack people who do not update their
computers promptly and who do not practice "safe hex." In other
words, like Blaster, this worm was developed and distributed _after_ a
patch for the vulnerability was announced and made publicly available.
Further, and also like Blaster, this worm could not affect any
computer whose user had taken the basic precaution of using a properly
configured firewall.

To stay on-line long enough to get the necessary updates, patches,
and removal tools, click Start > Run, and enter "shutdown -a" when the
next RPC countdown begins. This will abort the shut down. Also, make
sure you've enabled a firewall before starting, to preclude any more
intrusions while getting the updates/patches/tools.

What You should Know about the Sasser Worm and its Variants
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-011.mspx

W32.Sasser.Worm
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.worm.html

A tool is available to remove the Sasser worm variants
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;841720

W32.Sasser.Worm Removal Tool
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.removal.tool.html

McAfee AVert Stinger Virus Removal Tool
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

What utter nonsense. Please stop posting potentially harmful
advice.

Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus problem is rather like
using an axe to trim one's fingernails. Sure, it'll probably get the
job done, but it's rather messy...., and almost always unnecessary.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH