Windows Defender, Vista and the 0x80240029 Error

Hello -
I am running an HP, OEM version of Vista Home Premium. As I have
discovered, Windows Defender is an integrated part of the OS, and my copy of
Vista has been activated and registered.
About three days ago, I noticed a little yellow "!" on the Defender icon and
the following error:
Error found: Code 0x80240029
I have spoken to HP about this and they seem flummoxed. I have tried
several of the suggestions in the forums but have yet to eliminate the
problem. Is there anything anyone can suggest? Thanks in advance and good
luck.

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Try this...
Run command prompt as administrator
At the command prompt type: SFC /SCANNOW
(notice the space before the slash)

OK, I have a question...
Is the command promt the one that comes up with a black screes? If so, what
to I type in and does the prompt have to say c:\ ?
Sorry - not too helpful, I know.
CH

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Vista button (start button)
Accessories
Run
but right mouse click on it and "run as administrator"
Get to the black screen

At that command prompt type in SFC /SCANNOW

Zenmota

Try turning off Auto-Updates (also un-check Use Microsoft Update if you have
it) and then check for updates. When I did this, it showed updates for
Defender that were not showing when Auto-Update was turned on. I also added
Windows Defender to the Windows firewall Exceptions (not sure if this
helped).

Here's the link for the update file:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.c..._98257bd9ca12d21c8baf70e53445164cc393dbdd.exe"C Harmon" <C (e-mail address removed)> wrote in messageHello -> I am running an HP, OEM version of Vista Home Premium. As I have> discovered, Windows Defender is an integrated part of the OS, and my copyof> Vista has been activated and registered.> About three days ago, I noticed a little yellow "!" on the Defender iconand> the following error:> Error found: Code 0x80240029> I have spoken to HP about this and they seem flummoxed. I have tried> several of the suggestions in the forums but have yet to eliminate the> problem. Is there anything anyone can suggest? Thanks in advance andgood> luck.>

Ran the scan - no problems.

Susan Bradley said:
Vista button (start button)
Accessories
Run
but right mouse click on it and "run as administrator"
Get to the black screen

At that command prompt type in SFC /SCANNOW

This was one of the first things I tired (thanks to your earlier post) -
I did receive one 'hidden' update, but the error remains

Zenmota

Did you try downloading the updated definition file and manually updating
Defender? Also, did you add Windows Defender to the Windows firewall
Exceptions? Don't know, it worked for me. It must be some kind of bug, cause
it seems lots of people are having this problem.

I'm not using windows firewall...how can I do the other item (downloading
def. file manually)...
Thanx

Zenmota

Should be able to just click this link:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.c...257bd9ca12d21c8baf70e53445164cc393dbdd.exeand it should download a file, then just double-click the file.Also found this in a MS Windows Defender newsgroup, but try at your ownrisk....I have spent many hours today working on this problem; last 3 hours withmicrosoft. This is what they had me do and it worked.1. Uninstall Windows Defender2. Restart in safe mode with internet3. Go to www.sh123.notlong.com4. There you will be prompted to download a zip file; run it now in safemode5. It will open the DOS window and will take some time to run; the windowwill close itself when it is finished; do not close it. This re-registersall dll files.6. Restart7. Reinstall Defender and check for updatesThis worked for me. I also found that there were other Microsoft updatesthat I had not received (11) which then downloaded. They, as well as theDefender updates showed in my history as being downloaded successfullybefore. Good Luck."C Harmon" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> I'm not using windows firewall...how can I do the other item (downloading> def. file manually)...> Thanx>> "Zenmota" wrote:>>> Did you try downloading the updated definition file and manually updating>> Defender? Also, did you add Windows Defender to the Windows firewall>> Exceptions? Don't know, it worked for me. It must be some kind of bug,cause>> it seems lots of people are having this problem.>>>> "C Harmon" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> news:[email protected]...>> > This was one of the first things I tired (thanks to your earlierpost) ->> > I did receive one 'hidden' update, but the error remains>> >>> > "Zenmota" wrote:>> >>> >> Try turning off Auto-Updates (also un-check Use Microsoft Update ifyou>> >> have>> >> it) and then check for updates. When I did this, it showed updatesfor>> >> Defender that were not showing when Auto-Update was turned on. I also>> >> added>> >> Windows Defender to the Windows firewall Exceptions (not sure if this>> >> helped).>> >>>> >> Here's the link for the update file:>> >>>> >>>> >>http://www.download.windowsupdate.c..._98257bd9ca12d21c8baf70e53445164cc393dbdd.exe"C>> >> Harmon" <C (e-mail address removed)> wrote in>> >> message>> Hello -> I am running an HP, OEM version of Vista Home Premium. As I>> >> have> discovered, Windows Defender is an integrated part of the OS,and>> >> my copyof> Vista has been activated and registered.> About three days>> >> ago, I noticed a little yellow "!" on the Defender iconand> thefollowing>> >> error:> Error found: Code 0x80240029> I have spoken to HP about thisand>> >> they seem flummoxed. I have tried> several of the suggestions in the>> >> forums but have yet to eliminate the> problem. Is there anythinganyone>> >> can suggest? Thanks in advance andgood> luck.>>>

Zenmota

Found this in a MS Windows Defender newsgroup, try at your own risk...

[...]

I wasn't aware you could uninstall Defender in Vista. I was told that it was
integrated and could not be removed.
The executable ran, but didn't change the status of the problem.

I wasn't aware you could uninstall Defender in Vista. I was told that it was
integrated and could not be removed.
The executable ran, but didn't change the status of the problem.

Zenmota

Well, i think the deal was, you do all of it but Uninstall Defender. I never
tried this method. Like I said, it's a try at your own risk thing...

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Do you have any other firewall software running?

C said:
I wasn't aware you could uninstall Defender in Vista. I was told that it was
integrated and could not be removed.
The executable ran, but didn't change the status of the problem.

:

Another possible solution.
If you have other browser set as default, ie.firefox or opera.
Try to set the default browser back to IE7 and run WD update or WU.

This possible solution is courtesy of Mr. Alvin from Singapore.