Windows XP Windows cannot find sys.exe

Reaction score
Windows XP Pro
Service pack 3

I've added a mapped drive to my computer. When i try to open it i get a windows error 'Windows cannot find sys.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

If i use run \\server\folder it opens successfully.

My anti virus is up to date, I've done a scan and found no errors. I have a second mapped drive to the the same server that works.

Any ideas whats happening

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sys.exe sounds very suspicious... have you had any virus in the past on that PC?

I'm wondering if this is a virus that tries to copy itself to mapped drives, but the source file no longer exists. Which AV scanner have you used to check your PC? I'd also use MBAM to check your system : http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Reaction score
Hi,

I disconnected the network drive and did a full malware scan of the PC but no error's were found. I re-mapped the drive but I get the same error, I can open it if I use the explorer option.

The laptop is one of 2 new laptops I've got so I setup the other laptop, connected it to the domain and mapped the drives. On the new laptop, fresh outta the box thats never been on the net i have the same problem.

The problem only exits with one folder, ie \\server1\folder1. If I map \\server1\folder2 it works. All other pcs on the network can access \\server1\folder1

Any frsh ideas?

Ask a Question