'Windows cannot find file' when double-clicking filename

G

I'm trying to open a jpg file, by double clicking the file name, but get message 'Windows cannot file in...' giving the path to where the file is!!! I can open Word docs like this just fine, but the jpg file doesn't open. Have tried moving it to a different folder, but same prob.

I also seem to get a little pop-up error message box with message 'Error opening database: 2000' as well.

Any ideas?
(I use IE 6)

Thanks in advance.

G

Thanks for the answer Wes, but I tried it, and it made no difference. Tried rebooting afterwards as well, but still no joy. If you have other suggestions, feel free to make them! I'm wondering whether the 'Image viewer' has trouble with path names that have spaces in, but guess that shouldn't be a problem with a Windows XP applic. I even get the prob with the sample jpg's that came with the machine

Cheers
Gerry.

W

Wesley Vogel

Gerry,

When you right click a jpg what kind of menu do you get?

Preview
Edit
Print
-------
Open With >
==========

Right click a jpg | Properties |
What does Open with show?
===========

Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
File Types tab | Scroll down to and highlight:
JPG | Open with shows what?

G

Wes, you've given me a solution to my problem..

On selecting 'properties' for a jpg, I got the following choices..

Dell Image Expert Applic (guess what brand of machine I have!
Windows Picture & Fax Viewe
Pain
Internet Explore
Microsoft Office Picture Manage

The jpg files opened fine with any of these 5 apart from the first!! So I've now picked another as the default, and double-click opens it fine now

Thanks a lot for your help
(But if you have any further ideas as to why the Image Expert Viewer fails, I'd be interested to know!)
Thanks again
Gerry.

Ask a Question