Windows Cannot find 'C:\Document path' But only with Word

GWL

I have been having a very weird problem in WinXP while trying to use Word
2000 for the past several weeks. I have tried every Word Group and WinXP
General without an answer so I am trying the group that I save for only the
most difficult problems. This problem only occurs when trying to open a Word
associated document.

Documents open normally from within Word 2000, but trying to double click in
Windows Explorer or using the right click Open With command or any other
shortcut to a word document opens Word with a "Windows Cannot find
'C:\Document path" Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try
again.------" error message. If I drag and drop the same shortcut onto an
open Word Window the document opens. I tried searching the knowledge base
and found article 224016 that describes the problem but the solution listed
does not apply to my situation. I found a similar thread in the Word
Discussion group but the MVP's there concluded that it is a problem with how
Windows Explorer is handling the request to Word and probably not a Word
problem, so I am trying here.

I have done the WinWord /r, the WinWord.exe /regserver procedures and
checked the contents of the DDE Box which is [REM
_DDE_Direct][FileOpen("%1")] but still the exact same problem persists. I
have also gone through the repair and the uninstall reinstall routines. This
seems to be a registry problem, but I have no clue. Since I can open
documents through word it is not a show stopper, but I sure would like to
get it fixed as my work flow habits include clicking on shortcuts a lot. I
have reinstalled and repaired till I am blue in the face, but the problem
remains.

I would like to add another possible clue. The right click Open With Command
in Explorer will open word without the document if a word associated
document is right clicked, but the Open With (Word) Command fails to open
anything if another file .ext is right clicked. For instance right clicking
a .txt file and using the Open With Word Command simply fails to do
anything. This only fails when using Open With Command with Word. All other
programs work with this command except Word.

TIA
George

Shain Wray [MSFT]

Hello George,

I will start off by saying I am not a Word expert, but I have a couple
suggestions -

1. What happens if you rename the file Normal.dot and then try to open a
document?

2. If it still fails, try creating a new Temp folder -

Recreate the Temp folder

Step One - Rename the current temp folder
=======
1. Boot windows into safemode
2. through Windows Explorer browse to the windows folder
3. right click the Temp folder and click Rename
4. type Old Temp and press enter

Step Two - Create a new temp folder
1. With the Windows folder highlighted go to File, New, Folder and type
TEMP and
press Enter

3. If that does not work, then I would recommend using two tools - Filemon
and Regmon from http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml. What
you do is run each tool and choose to Options/Filter on the file
winword.exe, make sure Word is not running at this time. Once you have
done this, then reproduce the problem while both tools are running. Save
out the logs from each and if it is not too large, 20kb or so, then post it
for me to review.

Best regards,
--
Shain Wray
Microsoft PSS Security Team

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!
--------------------
From: "GWL" <[email protected]>
Subject: Windows Cannot find 'C:\Document path' But only with Word
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:31:29 -0600

[...]

Shain, thank you for the reply. You are the first one brave enough to try
this problem. I did everything you suggested, New Normal.dot, new Temp
Folder to no avail. I tried the two programs that you suggested but the logs
were 3-7 MB in less than a minute. and I did not think you wanted files that
big. I did notice something odd. If Regmon is running, everything works as
it is supposed to work. If Filemon is running with out Regmon then the error
occurs. If I filter Regmon for just errors there are no entries in the
Regmon log. Are there some filter settings I could try in Filemon to make
the log smaller? I guess a work around would be to run Regmon all the
time:), HA HA.

George Leese

From: "GWL" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:31:29 -0600

[...]

Zip the filemon and regmon up and e-mail them to me. To do this remove the
"online" part from my e-mail address.

Please only use my e-mail for this issue.

Best regards,

From: "GWL" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:31:29 -0600

[...]

In the Filemon, I found several of the following which appear to be when
the problem occurs -

1361 6:15:09 PM EXPLORER.EXE:1156 FSCTL_CREATE_OR_GET_OBJECT_ID
C:\Documents and Settings\Default\My Documents\Microsoft
Work\Word\Performance Achievement Program.doc INVALID DEVICE REQUEST
1362 6:15:09 PM EXPLORER.EXE:1156 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\Documents and
Settings\Default\Recent\Performance Achievement Program.doc (2).lnk FILE
NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
1363 6:15:09 PM EXPLORER.EXE:1156 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\Documents and
Settings\Default\Recent\Performance Achievement Program.doc (2).lnk FILE
NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

1404 6:15:09 PM EXPLORER.EXE:1156 FSCTL_CREATE_OR_GET_OBJECT_ID
C:\Documents and Settings\Default\My Documents\Microsoft Work\Word INVALID
DEVICE REQUEST
1405 6:15:09 PM EXPLORER.EXE:1156 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\Documents and
Settings\Default\Recent\Word.lnk FILE NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
1406 6:15:09 PM EXPLORER.EXE:1156 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\Documents and
Settings\Default\Recent\Word.lnk FILE NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

1454 6:15:10 PM WINWORD.EXE:2140 IOCTL: 0x90120 C: INVALID DEVICE REQUEST

The INVALID DEVICE REQUEST usually means the application is trying to
access hardware directly, which it cannot do. I think this may be due to
something running on your system that is interfering with Word. Try the
following and let me know if we have any success.

First, boot to Safe Mode and see if the problem occurs there. If NOT, then
do the following -

A) Go to Start\Run and type
MSCONFIG <OK>
B) In MSConfig, choose "Selective Startup"
C) Remove all check boxes and click "OK" and "Yes" to reboot into Normal
Mode.
Then test our issue.
D) If you don’t see the problem at this point, check all except "System
Services" and "Startup Items", click "OK" and "Yes".
Reboot then test our issue.
E) If you don’t see the problem at this point, check all except "System
Services", click "OK" and "Yes".
Reboot and then test our issue.
F) If the problem returns, it is due to a Startup Item. If not, it is a
Service.

For Services:
G) Click the Services tab and check the box for "Hide all Microsoft
Services."
H) Enable SOME of the disabled items, click "OK" and "Yes".
Reboot, then test our issue.

For Startup Items:
I) Click the Startup tab and enable SOME of the disabled items, click "OK"
and "Yes".
Reboot, then test our issue.

J) Repeat until you track down the offending component.

If it still fails in Safe Mode, then we have either file or registry
corruption which will be difficult to track down. At that point, I would
recommend calling in to talk with MS support to have an engineer
troubleshoot live with you and possibly get an image of your system for
local troubleshooting.

Let me know the results.

Best regards,
--

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

From: "GWL" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:31:29 -0600

[...]

Thanks Shain, apparently there is a registry key hosed, as the problem in
all manifestations is still there in Safe Mode. I am semi-retired and am not
in a position to call MS Engineers to pay for a service call. This is the
first time I have had a problem that I was not able to find an answer to
since Windows 3.1. Since all other programs work and only Word demonstrates
the problem, I think I will wait for an opportune time to do the old
reformat clean install routine. Have not had to do this since Windows XP was
released but I guess sooner or later it is needed. I wish I understood the
entries in the registry better, but I am just too old to learn.

Thanks for your help. If you happen to run across an answer, please keep me
in mind.

George

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

From: "GWL" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:31:29 -0600

[...]

Yep, this sounds like registry or file corruption and I will have to look
further into this but I cannot guarantee anything. I will get back to you
if I find anything else to look at.

Best regards,
--
Shain Wray
Microsoft PSS Security Team

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!
--------------------
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

From: "GWL" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:48:51 -0600

[...]

Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Same problem in Vista

Hello I am new to forums but not new to PC problems. I have the exact same problem with a new Dell laptop running Vista home premium. I have the same problem I cannot open word documents by double clicking and word 2003 starts very slow, aprox 1 - 2 min of the word splash screen then a blank document. Once open it's fine and if I leave a blank document open I can open others fine.

Both problems are corrected when I boot in safe mode. Word will also open normally if I use the winword.exe/a. I dont have the same selections you mentioned in msconfig as this is vista what should my next step be?

I have tried disableing all addins and that made no difference.

This has been going on for months and all people tell me is wait for Vista SP1.