From: "arry" <>
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.scanners
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 8:51 PM
Subject: Windows 98SE and Epson

I'm checking the Epson 4990 photo scanner for my
W98SE system but I've seen reviews that quote it as
needing a minimum of W98SE (factory installed)

I'm not clear about what's meant by 'factory installed'
I've installed the 98SE OS myself on my machine (Pentium 2)

Is it possible the scanner might not work?

(It's the first time I've ever seen reference to a 'factory installed'
OS..
Anyone know what this means exactly, and how might it differ from an owner
installed variety..

Intrigued!!

Arry

Arry,
Cannot help with SE, however Win98 had three versions.
A, B, C.
A and B were across the counter retail and were incomplete as compared to C.
C came on computers were the OS was installed by the manufacturer of the
computer. Those folks had a bulk license. There was no other way to get ver
C. Ver C also contained many drivers the two previous versions did not, one
of which was more efficient USB's.

There was another term used to refer to the ver C, however it escapes me.

Kennedy McEwen

I'm checking the Epson 4990 photo scanner for my
W98SE system but I've seen reviews that quote it as
needing a minimum of W98SE (factory installed)

I'm not clear about what's meant by 'factory installed'
I've installed the 98SE OS myself on my machine (Pentium 2)

Is it possible the scanner might not work?

(It's the first time I've ever seen reference to a 'factory installed' OS..
Anyone know what this means exactly, and how might it differ from an owner
installed variety..
What they are referring to is full installation of Win98SE as opposed to
a version of Win98SE that has been installed as an upgrade from an
earlier version of Windows.

The full installation, whether installed by the user or the vendor, will
work. The upgrade installation will *probably* work fine, but Epson are
not prepared to provide support for the few cases where the upgrade has
not occurred perfectly and some of the drivers, particularly the WDM
support, have not installed correctly.

For example, my version of W98SE is an upgrade installation from W95,
which in turn was upgraded from W3.1 etc. and works perfectly with the
Epson drivers and software.

They are just covering their backs so that they are not obliged to fix
problems in your system beyond telling you to re-install W98SE.

Bart van der Wolf

arry said:
I'm checking the Epson 4990 photo scanner for my
W98SE system but I've seen reviews that quote it as
needing a minimum of W98SE (factory installed)

I'm not clear about what's meant by 'factory installed'
I've installed the 98SE OS myself on my machine
(Pentium 2)

If I recall correctly, the 98SE version had improved (as in working)
USB support. However, if the hardware isn't equipped with compatible
hardware USB support, things can still go wrong. Factory installed
implies that the hardware *is* fit to work together with the OS.

Bart