Windows 7 Windows 7 Vs Vista Vs XP - Gaming

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Some interesting results, but nothing we don't/didn't really know. I personally think 7 is just a better OS all round. :)

With the launch of Microsoft’s new OS we wanted to look at how it performs in gaming, but also to check if the graphics drivers were ready. We all still remember the painful transition from XP to Vista when it came to gaming, particularly for the GeForces with quite a few months going by, in fact almost a year in the case multi-GPU cards, before NVIDIA got up to speed. What’s the situation with Windows 7?
Source

IMG0027535.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very interesting link - there are some wild variations in some games which I didn't expect!

My own experience has been very positive with gaming in W7, although I haven't benchmarked or compared performance numerically. :)

Reaction score
I`ve just bought two computers with "Vista" on board,and as far as I`m concerned it`s good. It does all I want it to do,as did "XP" Which I found to very stable and easy to use. I have the opportunity to buy a "free" up grade to Win7.When I say "free" I have to pay the shipping costs to me. But is it going to be worth it. Is it that good and so different from "Vista"?

historian :confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
historian said:
I`ve just bought two computers with "Vista" on board,and as far as I`m concerned it`s good. It does all I want it to do,as did "XP" Which I found to very stable and easy to use. I have the opportunity to buy a "free" up grade to Win7.When I say "free" I have to pay the shipping costs to me. But is it going to be worth it. Is it that good and so different from "Vista"?

Basically, the major difference is it's a bit quicker, assuming you're not into gaming.

If you're happy with things as they are, stick with it.

Having said that, wouldn't hurt to upgrade to Win 7, Microsoft have made a ton of improvements over Vista.

And the offer you have may have a time limit.

Weighing up the odds, assuming the 'shipping costs' are no more than a tenner for both machines, I'd upgrade.

Depends on those 'shipping costs' really.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Do it. 7 is soooo much better than Vista IMO. :)

Reaction score
historian said:

Hi Historian,
Like you i have vista and don't really see a whole lot wrong with it. I have to say the only time anything goes wrong is when i do summat i shouldn't have. I hear people say vista is slow....well i beg to differ. My boot speed is really fast. I think from hitting the button to a working desktop takes about 57 seconds, which is good enough for me. i will say i don't like the uac very much but it's there to make sure you're sure you wanna make changes. i can surf and download and burn, all at the same time so i fail to see why everyone hates it.....maybe i'm a freak lol, bt i like it...wait for it .....;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Basically, the major difference is it's a bit quicker, assuming you're not into gaming.

If you're happy with things as they are, stick with it.

Having said that, wouldn't hurt to upgrade to Win 7, Microsoft have made a ton of improvements over Vista.

And the offer you have may have a time limit.

Weighing up the odds, assuming the 'shipping costs' are no more than a tenner for both machines, I'd upgrade.

Depends on those 'shipping costs' really.

Hi floppybootstomp.
Thanks for your reply.
The up grades have to come via Germany. The shipping cost is 24.95 Euros each,thats £22.58 each.I think the time limit is February. That`s rather a lot of money I think just to up grade don`t you think?
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
historian said:

Hi floppybootstomp.
Thanks for your reply.
The up grades have to come via Germany. The shipping cost is 24.95 Euros each,thats £22.58 each.I think the time limit is February. That`s rather a lot of money I think just to up grade don`t you think?
historian

In the general scheme of things, no, it isn't really expensive, Win 7 Home Premium goes for around £65.00 generally, not sure what an upgrade normally costs.

But - difficult choice.

If you're happy with Vista and don't do gaming, you may as well stick with it, as £45 is a significant amount of cash.

One idea would be, maybe, to try just one, then if you're happy, upgrade the second machine before February.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS: I'd maybe be a little suspicious of that offer as it certainly doesn't cost £25.00 to post a CD from Germany. And if it is a free upgrade, why can't it be offered in a download?

Ask a Question