Windows 7 insists on formatting a blank DVD when it's inserted.

Reaction score
Back when I used XP, if you wanted to just chuck some files onto a blank just to transfer to another computer, you could just toss a blank in, and Windows would ask you if you wanted to use it like a USB flash drive and you'd say "Yep!" and bingo, you get a folder that you can drop files into, and when you're ready, you hit burn. So easy.

But since I've been using Vista and 7 machines, I notice that when you insert a blank, it asks you the same thing about using it like a USB flash drive, but upon choosing that option, it then says Windows must format the disc, and then begins to format a friggin blank DVD, taking it's sweet time, and only after that do you get an option to view the folder that you can copy files into. But here's the most annoying part; it begins burning files in realtime as you drop them into the folder. This means that unlike the XP way of dropping a bunch of shortcuts onto a sort-of disc preview mode, then when ready, you hit burn and then go get a coffee while it burns, you instead have to wait while it burns each file you drag over there. No biggie if you're just burning one big file, but what if you're grabbing files from a number of different directories on your drive? Pain in the ass and way less convenient.

Is there some way to custom set this to have it like it was in XP?

Ask a Question