Windows 7 Force Setting of Sharing and Security codes on Backup Drive

M

mmdir2005

I never used Sharing and Security on backup or any drive cuz I'm the only one using alone. I've used secondary backup drive from one computer to another without
putting any Sharing and Security codes.... On Windows 7, it forced to setupit or the drive is inaccessible. So I did setup it in big mistake I never should fool around with Windows 7. I got back to XP now I can't use it as free backup drive
without changing, replacing of ownership, permission and other blah blah thing.
Windows 7 NTFS system must permanently changed a form of "free" accessible drive to "protected" drive that both Windows 7 and XP can't delete it. I tried to delete out all the ownership, permission codes so I can use as free drive and it only work for one computer but need new setup codes on anothercomputer. This is utter wasting time! Windows 7 automatically configureda secondary drive as "protected" and a system drive as free drive. Wasteful upgrade!

P

Paul

I never used Sharing and Security on backup or any drive cuz I'm the only one using alone. I've used secondary backup drive from one computer to another without
putting any Sharing and Security codes.... On Windows 7, it forced to setup it or the drive is inaccessible. So I did setup it in big mistake I never should fool around with Windows 7. I got back to XP now I can't use it as free backup drive
without changing, replacing of ownership, permission and other blah blah thing.
Windows 7 NTFS system must permanently changed a form of "free" accessible drive to "protected" drive that both Windows 7 and XP can't delete it. I tried to delete out all the ownership, permission codes so I can use as free drive and it only work for one computer but need new setup codes on another computer. This is utter wasting time! Windows 7 automatically configured a secondary drive as "protected" and a system drive as free drive. Wasteful upgrade!

Since the NTFS file system has permissions and SIDs and the like,
there will always be problems like this showing up.

But you have to be *very careful* what you're doing! For example,
if you use any of these techniques, applied to the top of C:\, it
could kill your OS. These tools are not intended for "flattening
everything with a hammer". Occasionally, you will regret rushing
one of these commands.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tims/archiv...vista-secret-11-deleting-the-undeletable.aspx

Some more ideas here.

http://serverfault.com/questions/154018/take-ownership-of-ntfs-volume-after-moving-to-new-machine

When you see articles like this, with available .reg files for
download, you can change the extension to .txt and open the
file in Notepad, to learn how the thing works, and what
command it uses. That makes it easier to understand
when you break something.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html

It's possible, when a disk is moved from one OS to another, the
account information doesn't line up, and then switching the drive
back and forth will always be a problem for you.

As long as you don't "hammer" an important part of C:, you can likely
do stuff like that to data-only partitions.

It's too bad there wasn't an expert tool, that could warn you
before you do something bad... I could sure use it :)

Paul

Ask a Question