Windows 7 Explorer. exe

Paul in Houston TX

It's fast, and it's OK. But Agent Ransack (also free) has much more
capability.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP

Cool! Downloaded and will install later this week
to try it out!

Paul in Houston TX

Jackson said:
I'd like to know if explorer in 7 can be configured with a command line
switch to open and expand the contents of the c: drive. I could do it
with XP by using the following: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,c: That
doesn't seem to work in 7.

Thanks.

It works for me with 7:

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:

BillW50

In
Paul said:
Port 119 is good enough for a first try. If you were using
authentication (the server required a username and password),
they would be sent in plaintext via port 119. Some of the
other ports, support encryption, so no third party can see
what you're posting.

If you are using Avast6 AV (free edition), it complains if you change OE
ports (or other applications) to a SSL one. As it states that it cannot
scan incoming and outgoing if your application is using a secured port.
And it states that Avast can handle the SSL connection itself and to
allow Avast to do this instead of your email / newsgroup reader. Avast
also allows you to set it to butt out and to mind its own business if
you would like.

Char Jackson

If you are using Avast6 AV (free edition), it complains if you change OE
ports (or other applications) to a SSL one. As it states that it cannot
scan incoming and outgoing if your application is using a secured port.
And it states that Avast can handle the SSL connection itself and to
allow Avast to do this instead of your email / newsgroup reader. Avast
also allows you to set it to butt out and to mind its own business if
you would like.

It makes no sense to me to scan Usenet traffic and email traffic.
What's the point?

Johannes A Van KootenIN THE UK SINCE LATE 80s

"BillW50" wrote in message
In
Paul said:
Port 119 is good enough for a first try. If you were using
authentication (the server required a username and password),
they would be sent in plaintext via port 119. Some of the
other ports, support encryption, so no third party can see
what you're posting.

it also depends on your internet service provider, some do not allow
newsgroups through oe

BillW50

In
Johannes said:
"BillW50" wrote in message
In

it also depends on your internet service provider, some do not allow
newsgroups through oe

What? Why? Way back in the old dialup days and when ISP was a bit pricy.
I got a cheap ma and pop ISP who was a guy who ran it from his basement
on Linux. And whenever I checked email from OE, his servers locked up.
He actually called me up one day and demanded that I stopped using
Windows because it would lock up his Linux servers. And I told him it
wasn't my problem and hung up on him. ;-)

But I know of nobody else who can tell you what programs you can use or
not. I could see somebody saying they don't support OE or something. And
if it doesn't work, then tough. But that is as far as I can see it go.

BillW50

In
Char said:
It makes no sense to me to scan Usenet traffic and email traffic.
What's the point?

Yeah I don't get it either. As the real-time AV scanner just stops any
malware in its list from executing anyway. I also don't see the point of
Windows security updates either for the same reason. As so what if
malware can use a bug to get on your system. It's totally harmless if it
doesn't get executed. And whenever it tries, it gets nailed by the AV
anyway.

Nil

it also depends on your internet service provider, some do not allow
newsgroups through oe

I'm sure that's not true. There's no practical way for an ISP to know
what newsreader you are using, and there's no reason for them to care
even if they did.

Mayayana

| it also depends on your internet service provider, some do not allow
| newsgroups through oe

The only way I can even imagine that being possible
would be via DNS resolution or via ISP-hosted newsgroups.

DNS is basically the online phone book. When you go to
a URL a DNS server tells you the actual address in the
form of a numeric IP address.

Most ISPs provide free DNS resolution. The IP for it is
what they tell you to enter in your Network Connection
window. (Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Properties.)
That can be a problem with sleazy ISPs because they
control your address resolution. And many will hijack
404 pages to show you ads instead. Some might even
cache pages and serve them to you out of their stash.

You can set any valid DNS server to use. There are sites
online where it can be researched. I'm using Level3 because
they seem to be among the fastest. 4.2.2.5 and 4.2.2.6
But there are lots of options.

For newsgroups, there are some free ones. I'm using
http://eternal-september.org/

It looks like your ISP is Virginmedia and you're using
their newsgroup connection? You don't have to do
that. You can just change the settings in your news
reader. (If Windows Live Mail is online webmail then by
all means get yourself a real newsreader. There's no reason
to put up with webpage-copied newsgroups. Usenet
was not designed for that.)

Char Jackson

I'm sure that's not true. There's no practical way for an ISP to know
what newsreader you are using, and there's no reason for them to care
even if they did.

+1

Paul

Mayayana said:
| it also depends on your internet service provider, some do not allow
| newsgroups through oe

The only way I can even imagine that being possible
would be via DNS resolution or via ISP-hosted newsgroups.

DNS is basically the online phone book. When you go to
a URL a DNS server tells you the actual address in the
form of a numeric IP address.

Most ISPs provide free DNS resolution. The IP for it is
what they tell you to enter in your Network Connection
window. (Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Properties.)
That can be a problem with sleazy ISPs because they
control your address resolution. And many will hijack
404 pages to show you ads instead. Some might even
cache pages and serve them to you out of their stash.

You can set any valid DNS server to use. There are sites
online where it can be researched. I'm using Level3 because
they seem to be among the fastest. 4.2.2.5 and 4.2.2.6
But there are lots of options.

For newsgroups, there are some free ones. I'm using
http://eternal-september.org/

It looks like your ISP is Virginmedia and you're using
their newsgroup connection? You don't have to do
that. You can just change the settings in your news
reader. (If Windows Live Mail is online webmail then by
all means get yourself a real newsreader. There's no reason
to put up with webpage-copied newsgroups. Usenet
was not designed for that.)

ISPs don't like to run their own news servers, because then
they have to deal with complaints from the public.

Instead, they offer two options. They tell you up front, to
buy service from a third party (that's my ISP, cheapskates).
Or, the ISP rebrands a Highwinds server for their own usage. Highwinds
does the support, and the ISP has next to nothing to do with it.
And the ISPs like that, as then the complaints resolution is
not on their shoulders.

Doing a quick search, Virginmedia has used a couple different
third party providers, in recent years.

Being a third party, you can probably connect with anything
you want. Unless some form of web-based-only (newssync) service has
been cooked up (HTTP only). You would need to see
a list of ports and protocols supported. Lots of the
newsserver outfits, put this kind of info on their web page.

http://www.aioe.org

nntp.aioe.org which opens the following ports:

* 119 (Plain Text and TLS) <--- original port, unencrypted.

* 563 (SSL Only) <--- Encrypted so third parties
* 443 (SSL Only) <--- cannot snoop.
* 22 (SSL Only)
* 80 (Plain Text and TLS) <--- used to bypass corporate filters
for USENETting at work.

The instructions on this page, are no different than setting up
another client. So I don't interpret this to be limited to OE.
They're using OE as an example. Thunderbird or Forte Agent or
some other tool would also be candidates.

http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php
http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl-2.php

Where at least some people get stuck, is at the "Authentication" setting.
You have to know whether the service uses a "Username/Password" pair
when you first start using the service. The news reader program
may have a tick box that says "Request Authentication". In other
words, the server doesn't come right out and ask for it. And yet,
without those steps, you can't get a proper newsgroup list or
post things. If you've been given a username/password, or
told to use some Virginmedia username/password that is used
for other services there, you may need to configure the
news reader program for that as well.

Paul

Mayayana

| I wasn't aware that Search Everything doesn't do FAT 32.

That seems odd. I always install XP to FAT32 when
possible. Doesn't search FAT32 and doesn't find text
inside a file. ....Even Windows search is a bit better
than that. I do like their names, though: Everything,
by Voidtools. :)

Char Jackson

This thread got me interested and I decided I'd give Search Everything a
try. Agent Ransack has always been my favorite. So here's what I came up
with at http://mewnlite.com/2search.gif
30 to 13 in favor of Agent Ransack.

Results are completely missing for some drives, suggesting you
probably forgot to include those drives in Everything's search
database.

Char Jackson

The missing drives are the Fat32 drives. C Drive is NTFS because it has
Windows 7 installed on it (which I rarely use). Drive I is NTFS so I have a
place to store large images. I also have a J drive which is NTFS used
exclusively for Acronis Boot Images.
I am not a fan of NTFS.

FAT32? That explains it.

My life would be very different, and very difficult, without NTFS.

Paul

BillW50 said:
In

Can I ask why not? And before you answer, have you ever had FATxx trash
your files?

"Permissions" are the main reason people don't like NTFS.

As far as journaling and the resulting improvement in robustness,
they'd probably like that part of NTFS.

Paul