Windows 2003 SBS registry hack catastrophe

Jason Gallas

I had installed a new hard drive and upgraded my windows 2003 server to
windows 2003 small business server. In doing so rather than partition the
new drive and copy the existing data to a non active partition I stupidly
did the following:

1. Installed Windows 2003 SBS (This was the stupid part, I should have just
put the drive in and then transferred the data from the old server install
first).

2. Once Installed I transferred the data from the old drive (with the
previous system still installed).

3. Disabled the other drives via the system bios and edited the boot.ini
file to reflect the changes.

4. Made "active" the SBS 2003 drive and let it boot up.

5. Now I had to change the drive from "F" to "C" so I edited the registry as
was instructed on a microsoft support website. However
this did not go smootly. The system would not boot up and crashed a couple
of times.

6. I proceeded to load a backup system registry and rebooted copying the old
registry as system.bak in the windows\tmp folder as instructed by the
recovery procedure.

7. Now when I boot up I cannot log into the domain, I can only log into the
local machine. It says the domain is not available (obviously I need to get
back to where I was before the change in the system registry).

My question is, how can I edit the system.bak file to get back to where I
was BEFORE I edited it (I know what key it was and such so doing so won't be
a problem). Can I log into the local machine and just edit the system.bak
file in the registry editor (regedit.exe or regedt32.exe)???

Dave Patrick

Not sure if you can recover but you'll need to restore the system and
software hives. There is no support means to change the system and or boot
partition drive letters.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Jason Gallas" <[email protected]>
Subject: Windows 2003 SBS registry hack catastrophe
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:46:39 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry

[...]

---

Jason,

I cannot guarantee you much success but if you want to try it you can load the System.bak in to Regedit but selecting Load
Hive from the File menu. By the way, there is no Regedt32 in Windows XP and Windows 2003. All functionality has been
bundled together in Regedit.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Bill Peele [MS]