Windows 2000 Pro Setup hangs during "Registers Components"

When running Windows 2000 Pro Setup, the install goes correctly until after
the final setup menu, then comes "registers components" and the system just
stays there.

The mouse works, I can move the Widnows setup window around the screen, but
it does not progress any further.

If I reboot the machines, setup reruns and then stops again at this same
place.

Can anyone please help?

I tried:

safe mode
safe mode with console
safe mode with network support

normal mode
debug mode

all of them do the same thing.

Please post and e-mail me the resolutions, please!!

(e-mail address removed)

Jody Atkins

I suggest that next time it gets to that step press Shift and F10 together
and then typetskmgr and you should be able to look at process and see what
is causing the hang. You can then stop the process and the setup will
complete. If you see an excessive amout of processes (ex. 30 GRPCONV.EXE
processes) running you can assume that is too many and start stopping them.

If that doesn't work another fix that I have run into was swapping the
Memory chips (remove them and put them back in but in the other chips slot)
then reboot and let setup continue.

I hope this helps and hanve a nice day...

Best Regards,
Jody Atkins
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
from your issue.
Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.

| From: =?Utf-8?B?Sm9yZ2UgU2NodWx6?= <Jorge
(e-mail address removed)>