D

Dale

When I power up my cpu, windows 2000 starts up, gets to
the desktop and then restarts. This condition just
started. The computer is 3 years old and I never had a
problem starting before today.

G

George Hester

Anything in the Event Viewer? If it gets to the desktop and then just shuts down that is a driver issue and should have some notice in the Event viewer when that happens. Believe me Windows 2000 just shutting down at boot is usually an indication of some type of virus infection or a bad device driver.

S

spaynetek

-----Original Message-----
When I power up my cpu, windows 2000 starts up, gets to
the desktop and then restarts. This condition just
started. The computer is 3 years old and I never had a
problem starting before today.
I just had the same problem with Windows 2k Pro. Did you
find a resolution? If so, please email me with
it...Thanks. spaynetek

G

I am no expert.... but this happened to me before.............. if you ever upgraded from (ie Win98) and you had installed the iomega zip drive software or left residual links somewhere in your system.... when you get to Windows 2K it will start up and shut down in a cycle, kinda like you are describing............. i had to make sure every link, dll, file, etc. from Iomega was out ........ then i had to reinstall the software and the problem went away.........

Other: maybe virus...... can you stay up in safe mode ?

G

George Hester

That is intersting because the drivers for the Iomega Zip drives are not necessary in Windows 2000. The Zip drive will work right out of the box in Windows 2000. Now of course if you want to install the Zip drive software then yes you may need some additional drivers from Iomega. But let me point out to you I know very few companies that can make a decent Windows 2000 driver of any kind. And Iomega is definitely NOT one of them.

Ask a Question