Window Start-up Rundll Error

Andrew

I am getting a message on start-up that says the following:

Rundll
Error Loading C:\WINDOWS\VHOJUWAXOHE.DLL
The specified module could not be found.
How is this issue fixed?

Thanks

Pegasus [MVP]

Andrew said:
I am getting a message on start-up that says the following:

Rundll
Error Loading C:\WINDOWS\VHOJUWAXOHE.DLL
The specified module could not be found.
How is this issue fixed?

Thanks

This is a residue of a virus/malware infection that was dealt with by your
virus scanner. Click Start / Run, then type msconfig.exe so that you can
examine the various tasks under the Startup tab. One of them will be the
offender. Untick it to get rid of the error message.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
or other appropriate forums.**

James Watkins

Leythos said:
You need to format your hard and reinstall windows.

The response seemingly written by "Leythos" was actually issued by a
well-known troll and imposter called "PC-Butts". He appears to derive a
childish pleasure by dishing out poor advice. While reformatting the disk
will, of course, fix your problem, it is equivalent to buying a new car when
running out of gas. Follow his advice at your own peril.

Leythos

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Window Start-up Rundll Error
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 13:33:58 -0700

You need to format your hard and reinstall windows.

Another person impersonating me - Chris, your actions are unethical and
dishonest and reflect poorly on your PCBUTTS1.COM website.

Abuse reported.

Elmo

Andrew said:
I am getting a message on start-up that says the following:

Rundll
Error Loading C:\WINDOWS\VHOJUWAXOHE.DLL
The specified module could not be found.
How is this issue fixed?

Thanks

Malware was deleted by your a/v software, but the reference to the file
was not removed from the registry.

Click Start, Run, type REGEDIT, click OK. Press the Home key, press F3,
type the name of the file into the search pane. Click "Find Next", and
when located, delete the reference to the file. Press F3 to continue
the search.

You can click File, Export, and save the entry to the Desktop. If you
remove it and there's a problem, double-click the .reg file you exported
to the Desktop and it'll be added to the registry again. You can create
a restore point before editing the registry too.

You could click Start, Run, type MSCONFIG, click OK, click the StartUp
tab, and deselect the item(s). When you restart the computer, you will
be warned that you're running in the Diagnostic mode; click to not alert
you again, and OK out. You won't see the message again. But I think
it's best to just remove the references from the registry.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

I put it to you that the infection(s) was NOT fully removed and that the
same Registry key will be recreated upon reboot and it will point to yet
another new, randomly-named DLL.

Pegasus [MVP]

PA Bear said:
I put it to you that the infection(s) was NOT fully removed and that the
same Registry key will be recreated upon reboot and it will point to yet
another new, randomly-named DLL.

It is equally feasible that the infection consisted of a two-stage process:
a) A harmless launcher that invoked an infected .dll file.
b) An infected .dll file.
When the virus scanner removes the infected .dll file then the harmless
launcher is left behind. It won't do any damage but it will generate the
error message that the OP sees.