win2k "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area error"

Compaq

Ok, I don't think I have seen this before...and I have
seen a lot of different STOP errors...here it is:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE1175000,0x00000000, 0xBFD86BE9,
0x00000001) PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

*** Address BFD86BE9 base at BFD1A000, DateStamp 38437ed3 -
ntfs.sys

Caching and Shadowing is not enabled in the BIOS. This is
for a Compaq Evo D5pS...D500.

======================

Ok so Win2k SP4 was installed and the fs is NTFS. The user
said it keeps rebooting. You turn it on and that's what it
kept doing...rebooting. You would see windows logon and
then it would all of a sudden reset. Now the machine does
not even show windows because win2k cd botched something
up when I tried a repair....it never made it to the repair
and I BSOD'd to the above STOP error. Now when I try to
boot off win2k cd (i've tried a couple) it keeps blue
screening before getting to the repair screen even. I
tried to physically move the hard drive to another
identical machine, but the same things happened. It's a
WD400B [Western Digital HD]. The data is still there, I
can see it with a NTFS boot disk. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thnx!

Tom Acker[MSFT]

Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware
(usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

Memory Diag Tool
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
The download can be used to create a bootable floppy or CD and it's very small and boots very quickly.

Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.

Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description

1 Memory address referenced
2 0: Read operation 1: Write operation
3 Address that referenced memory (if known)
4 Reserved

Resolving the Problem
Resolving a faulty hardware problem: If hardware has been added to
the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing
hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. You
should run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer.
For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

Resolving a faulty system service problem: Disable the service and
confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer
of the system service about a possible update. If the error occurs during
system startup, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-mode
menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows
Advanced Options menu, choose the Last Known Good Configuration option.
This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time.

Resolving an antivirus software problem: Disable the program and confirm
that this resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer of the program about a possible update.

Resolving a corrupted NTFS volume problem: Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and
repair disk errors. You must restart the system before the disk scan begins on a
system partition. If the hard disk is SCSI, check for problems between
the SCSI controller and the disk.

Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages
that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it.

Comments
Typically, this address is in freed memory or is simply invalid.